OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: My sons Louisiana Youth Weekend turkey!  (Read 6889 times)

Offline handcannon

• Long Spur Gobbler
My sons Louisiana Youth Weekend turkey!
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:32:33 PM »
Thought I'd add this to the Youth Section.
This morning (3-18-12) my son Blake and I got the job done. This is Louisiana's youth weekend and after yesterday seeing 15 different birds yesterday and not getting to pull the trigger we thought we had a pretty good game plan for this morning.

We got to the woods and was waiting to hear where the birds had roosted so we could sneek in without getting busted. Well, a bird I had heard earlier in the week started hammering behind us. He just kept on and I told my son we needed to trash our game plan and head after the other one. He was just off of the main gravel and hammering at everything. I got him set up in his gobbler lounger and I backed up behind him and layed down off the road. I gave him a little light yelping to let him know I was there. Well, he ended up staying in the tree a lot longer than he should have waiting on the hen to come to him but he must have gobbled 200 times on the limb. Finally after a little scratching in the leaves, he flew down. It wasnt long before he was coming down the road putting on a show. I had a hard time seeing him through the brush but I could tell what he was doing. After about 5 minutes, he turned and started to go off the road to go into the woods and find (me) the hen. As soon as he got to the edge, I told my son to shoot him. He fired and the turkey started running away. I told him to shoot again and he rolled him up at about 40 yards. By the time I got up off the ground, that boy had already ran about 30 yards to the bird. I have never seen him move that fast. Found out that his first shot cut down a small 1" sapling about 10' in front of him.

Anyhow, it was a good 2 year old. He weighed in at 19 pounds and had a 9" beard and 3/4" spurs. This boy is ate up with it now. This is his third bird now.  He's sure made me proud.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: My sons Louisiana Youth Weekend turkey!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
 :icon_thumright:   Awesome !!!
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »
Great Job Guys  :happy0064:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »
Congrats

Offline Hooksfan

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »
Congratulations on getting it done.
I might take my kids down there next Spring for the youth hunt.

What part of Louisiana are you from?  I was raised in Livingston Parish.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
WTG.

Offline handcannon

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
Congratulations on getting it done.
I might take my kids down there next Spring for the youth hunt.

What part of Louisiana are you from?  I was raised in Livingston Parish.

We live in Winn Parish.

Offline Hooksfan

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »
I hunted the Winn Ranger District of the Kisatchie National Forest down there about 18 years ago.  I got the bright idea of riding a bicycle down one of the gated off roads about two miles through pine plantation before it dropped off into a hardwood bottom.
About a week before the season while on a scouting trip with no gun, I rode the bike up into a herd or wild pigs in the dark and actually bumped one of em with my front tire.  :bike2:
Never have forgotten that one.