OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal HW #6's ?

Started by shotgun_oly, March 29, 2012, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shotgun_oly

Anyone had any luck with the 2oz #6's with a browning gold 10? What would you recommend for choke with the flight control wad?

Oly

shotgun_oly

Well i guess no one has any experience with this load yet, but for $20 a box i couldn't resist given them a try :funnyturkey: I have a JH .695, Hastings .685 - .690 & .705 non-ported and a Dayson .720 to try them through. Any guesses at what will work better with the flight control wad?
Thanks Oly  

Old Gobbler

I would favor the #7's over the #6's in HW federals, you will get better pellet counts- The #7's blow right through 1/2 hardwood ply at 40 yds , penetrated better than the larger pellets in the magblends

I have a good assortment of chokes and will do some tests this summer for others to compare --Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

shotgun_oly

Wish they would've had the #7's ;D but all they had was the 6's in 10 ga and for the price after rebate, I couldn't pass it up :you_rock: The #7's in 12 ga 3.5" was twice the price, $40 for 5 :o I'm sure i can make the 326 or so pellets work, if not I've got a killer 30-45 Yard early season goose load.

Thegobblergetter

Oly, I was wondering the same thing out of my SP-10.  I have a Rhino .720 ported, a PG .710 ported,  a PG .690 ported, a factory Turkey XF (.728), and another 22" barrel with a fixed .720 choke.  All of these chokes only produce 100 in the 10" or less, but I want more than that!  I am sure there are other chokes that should produce better patterns, but I think it is the FC wad.  I guess I am going to have to take them apart and put the shot in my handloads using TPS wads and STEEL powder.  Anyone out there - any ideas???  Thanks, John   

shotgun_oly

Finally got out to put up a few quick patterns :toothy9: Browning Gold 10 26" barrel/ported with dirty barrel, didn't have time to clean it, but it still did good with all the hastings non ported chokes. Especially with the hastings .685 -  219 pellets in 10" @ 40 yards http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,25259.0.html:happy0064: The Dayson .720 was the second best w/ 167 in 10" and still had a pretty even 20" :newmascot: