OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anybody know why he did this?

Started by bigthunderchicken, March 25, 2012, 07:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigthunderchicken

no we werent using a deke forgot them in the truck. im going to hit him up friday am if he does the same thing then he thru..... but he probably wont
Chase

TrackeySauresRex

I've had it happen before... One bird flanked me on the left about 50 yards out, I couldn't budge. He circled around me,to the point whare he was almost in front   of me. I got em with soft calls and leaf scratching less than 20 yards away   ;D. I believe he new right whare the call came from and didn't see a hen. That's why he circled. Be patient and be still,theres a good chance he'll complete that circle.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

bigthunderchicken

Chase

jakebird

You didnt mention using a decoy, but im assuming  u didnt. He was probably looking for visual confirmation. When he didnt see a hen he got a little jittery.the best thing to do if u dont have a decoy and a bird is hot but wont commit, is give him the silent treatment. Make him come looking. If you kept calling and he didnt see a hen, he got nervous. My advice, slip back to that spot, stake a hen decoy and when he gobbles at your calling, shut up. He will eventually come check u out, spy the hen and commit.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

swamp_bird89

cause hes a turkey doing turkey things

Mimosa Gobbler

"My cup is always half full because I have already drank the other half!"

Cutt

hwy419

In my VERY humble opinion, he knew he was within sight of "the hen" and he was right. You could see him. If "the hen" was serious she would have walked right up to him. But of course you can't do that :) Had this happen to me yesterday. Less calling/variable volume would have likely made him a little more uncertain of your wherabouts.