OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anybody know why he did this?

Started by bigthunderchicken, March 25, 2012, 07:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigthunderchicken

My father in law called me said he had a bird that was gobbling but wouldnt come. i get there as quick as i can and immediately the bird gets into a strut zone. after some coaxing i get him to break out of it and hes coming. game on ...... so i thought. i see the bird about 65 -70 yards and he starts circling but never came any closer. he circles all the way around us. i was just wondering if yall had any idea why he did this? he was gobbling to whole time. we pulled out and im going to hit him up again tomorrow.
Chase

bowhunter32

redarrow

Were you sittin in a thicket ? If its thick he aint comimg in,

mightyjoeyoung

He was doing what every turkey in the woods is programed to do...Gobble his head off and strut while waiting for the hen to come to him.  He was likely circling you trying to get a bead on the hen that wasn't there.  That's one of the biggest reason they hang up...that and terrain obsticals.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

MouthCaller

I without a doubt would be setting up where he hung up at the first time before circling. Ive seen a longbeard circle a tree before (probably 10-15 times) not sure why he did it but he came on in and had lead for breakfast.

triune

It will be interesting to see if he is an older bird when you put a tag on him.  I've seldom had a two year old circle me unless the terrain or underbrush causes him to skirt,  but have had several older birds do this.

bigthunderchicken

Chase

Cutt

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 25, 2012, 07:55:20 PM
He was doing what every turkey in the woods is programed to do...Gobble his head off and strut while waiting for the hen to come to him.  He was likely circling you trying to get a bead on the hen that wasn't there.  That's one of the biggest reason they hang up...that and terrain obsticals.

I agree, turkeys are known for taking advantage of the terrain to survey the area, once they know where the hen they don't see, should be , or to make their self visible to the hen.

Duke0002

As others said, he was looking for the source of the calling (the hen), IMO. 

He knows your location, but wants to get an eyeball on his target.  Sit still and when his circuit takes him out of eye contact with you, make a  purr or soft cluck and scratch the ground.  Don't be surprised if he winds up 5 yds (or closer) from your backside.

Be patient and still.  His circuit may take him right in front of you within shooting range.   Again,  sit still and be very patient -he's alooking for you!

paboxcall

Quote from: triune on March 25, 2012, 09:39:17 PM
It will be interesting to see if he is an older bird when you put a tag on him.  I've seldom had a two year old circle me unless the terrain or underbrush causes him to skirt,  but have had several older birds do this.

:agreed:

That bird wasn't concerned about drawing the attention of a more dominant gobbler.  

Jim Spencer once wrote "sit down wrong, and you're beat."  Try to figure out why that bird was comfortable moving on that path around you, and not coming directly to you.

Get down on the ground at his level if you have to, just to turn around and see it from his perspective.  

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Ol'Mossy

What I would do is go to the same spot where you called from but this time have your father in law walk out 65 yards to your left and sit tight. You do the calling and when he circles again your father in law will be sitting there waiting. 

TREEDOG

He was doing what every turkey in the woods is programed to do...Gobble his head off and strut while waiting for the hen to come to him.  He was likely circling you trying to get a bead on the hen that wasn't there.  That's one of the biggest reason they hang up...that and terrain obsticals.

x1

Opening day had one about 75 yards out that would not come in. He could see up in the area and there was no hen. he got about 150 yards away and we put hen decoy out about 15 yards. fired him back up and this time he came in walk straight to the decoy but stop about 25-30 yards away. Couple years back had one do samething but he could not see in the area because of the terrain. So he circle around to the back where it was open and came in looking for the hen.

Rockhound

Quote from: redarrow on March 25, 2012, 07:51:45 PM
Were you sittin in a thicket ? If its thick he aint comimg in,

You my friend have never hunted southern middle tennessee if you dont think a bird will come through a thicket

dirt road ninja

Because he's a turkey. He might run to you the next day.

tomstopper

He was doing what every turkey in the woods is programed to do...Gobble his head off and strut while waiting for the hen to come to him.  He was likely circling you trying to get a bead on the hen that wasn't there.  That's one of the biggest reason they hang up...that and terrain obsticals.
:agreed:
It does not say if you were using a decoy or not. If not I would move closer to the strut zone and place some decoys out. This will give him something to look at and provide you with a better shot. IMO