turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Great day

Started by misfire, March 25, 2012, 04:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfire

Any day I get so spend with my son is always a bonus, especially now as he is getting older and these days will soon be gone. Yesterday was a bust, damp conditions and no activity around us. Today seemed to be destined for better memories. Woke up to crisp and clear conditions. We set out before daybreak and climbed to a steep ridge to listen. The only thing to greet us on the roost was a lone jake. We decided to set up where we were and try our luck. Around 8:15 Mitchell gives me hand signals that he heard a bird several hundred yards behind him, so we dicide to move. We hunted the property line and heard a hen yelping down below us. I set up the decoy and Mitchell faced the hollow below where she was at. I then used a slate call and had a bird cut me off on the other property. I called again and again, he cut me off, double and triple gobbling. Mitchell then came to me and the hunt was on. That bird wasnt in a great big hurry, but I could tell he was coming. A short while later I called and the bird cut me off, this time within 75yds. I told Mitchell to get his gun up and on the road. About 5 minutes later, I see the bird step out on the road at about 60 yds and go into strut. I told Mitchell to let him come to us. The bird proceeded to walk to us, stopping occasionally to strut. I dont know i the decoy spooked him or what did, but the bird started to go back into the woods when Mitchell let the 870 bark. We were both estatic. I could tell when the bird first went into strut that he had a nice beard, but I had no clue what he really had. Mitchell brought the bird over and we began to high five and hug and admire the bird that God provided. Mitchell then said, "Dad, it is a double bearded bird". Sure enough, it had two distinct beards. I started sending text messages and responding to others when Mitchell said "Dad, he had FOUR beards"!!!! Dadgum if it didnt.

Now the celebration was really in full swing. Now we are 45 minutes past the time Mitchell pulled the trigger and we are relaxing for a bit before the long trek back to camp. I pull out a copper call and stroke just for grins and giggles, when I have two different birds respond. We are still on the same trees from earlier. One bird gobbles again on his own and I slide down to sit on the road. I call a little, then Mitchell takes over on the copper call. That bird was digging the "Copper Stopper". A short while later I see the bird step out on the road about 140yds away and pop into strut. I honestly couldnt tell you how long that bird took, but it had to be 15 minutes if it was a second. I thought to myself, something has to go wrong, this is just like a hunt you would see on a DVD. I watched that bird strut, walk, stop and gobble, strut some more, all the way to the Avian X. When he got to within 30yds of the decoy, he let out a booming gobble, one that tilted my hat!!!! He then proceeded to spit and drum to within 25yds of me for several minutes. Mitchell told me later that he was wishing I would shoot just so he could breathe again. I got to tell you, watching that bird do is routine was mesmerizing. I watched as long as my arms could take it, then let the Benelli bark. Bird #2 from the same location, all within an hour.

What memories are made of

The total measurements on Mitchells beards were 9 4/8, 5, 6 2/8 and 4 5/8. A total of 25 3/8 if my math is correct. The funny thing is, the spurs were all of 1/2"
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

TRKYHTR

Great hunt Misfire. I love that last pic. Thats 2 happy hunters.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

BowBendr

What an awesome day in the woods !!  :you_rock: :you_rock:
Nothing beats making memories like that.
Congrats to you and Mitchell.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 25, 2012, 06:35:20 PM
Great hunt Misfire. I love that last pic. Thats 2 happy hunters.

TRKYHTR

GREAT !!! congrats on an AWESOME HUNT  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice gobblers,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

gobblingghost

Congrats to both of you. That's what memories are made of

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

JVA54

pseshooter300

Congrats that is some good memory's
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

Spring_Woods

Great memories to last a lifetime. Incredible hunt.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

MAKEemQUIVER

Congrats to you guys!!
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

TnTurk

Man that's awesome!  Great memory that will last a lifetime for the both of you.  Congrats.

Ky strutt n bust n

thats great outcome to yalls time spent together. very nices birds  :you_rock:

Hognutz

Congrats on two nice birds. Memories are made of this!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

coyotetrpr

What a great story. :icon_thumright:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.