OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Gobbler

Started by 8upbowhunter, March 24, 2012, 04:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8upbowhunter

I was picked for a lottery hunt this weekend on a WMA that I deer hunt on. My son and I went try to roost one yesterday evening but didn't hear any birds gobbling. On the 1.5 mile hike out I started getting a blister on the heel of each foot from the new boots I was wearing. Of course I only brought 1 pair of boots to camp so I was going to have to tuff it out.

This morning we hiked back to the same place we were last night and arrived at 5:15. Well daylight finally came and we started hearing a few birds gobbling. We made our way to the closest bird and set up on him only to have his hens take him away from us. At around 8:00 we set up on another bird with the same results. We walked to a few other spots and tried calling but didn't hear or see anything. After walking up and down these ridges all morning the blisters were really hurting so at 10:00 we started walking back to the truck.

At 10:20 we heard another one gobble a couple hundred yards away and decided to go after him. We got setup at 10:30 with him close by but he wouldn't come in and started going away. We got up and moved around a small thicket and setup again with the same results. We made another move and setup on a big flat. He would gobble every time I called so when he got close I shut up. A couple minutes later my son spotted him slipping in towards our left. He went behind some bushes at about 40yds and I moved my gun to get on him. He stopped behind the bush and turned around going back where he came from. When he cleared the bush I let the Browning bark and smoked him.

This is my 3rd season turkey hunting and my first kill. (it's only a 7 day season and 3 weekend lottery hunts on this WMA) 10" Beard, 7/8" spurs and 15.5# certainly not the biggest but I'll take it.

Blister

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVA54

budtripp

DirtNap647

congrats....ouch thats gotta hurt  :icon_thumright:

whiskey

#1 Congrats!

#2 - Eeewwww, nasty blister. Next time slap some duck tape on those heels.

boomer

clarksvalley

congrats on your first bird!!your first one is always alittle extra special but with bisters like that you`ll alway remember that one.

slee

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Clay

Awesome results!  Congrats for hanging in there and getting your bird!

Big Ugly

Ol'Mossy

timbrhuntr

cannonball

8upbowhunter

Thanks everyone. I'm going to remember these blisters for a while and my first kill forever. It was worth every painful step and to have my son tagging along on the hunt made it even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk