OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good luck to all the Tenn Youth

Started by hoosiernavy, March 24, 2012, 08:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoosiernavy

Alittle late, I am sure there are some youths that have bagged a few birds already this morning but want to wish them luck and hope their hunts are safe and successful.

MouthCaller

gophert

Nothing but hens for us this morning, not even a gobble.  We are headed to another spot this afternoon. 

whiskey

My daughter busted a public land longbeard this morning on the TN youth turkey hunt. She killed her first bird last year out of a blind. This year we were running and gunning without the blind. We heard gobbles as soon as we stepped in the woods at 6:10, got set up less than 100 yards from the birds. Gobblers came right to us when they flew down, but were downhill on a lower shelf and even though they were only 40 yards away, there was no shot. The hens flew down and took the gobblers to the bottom of the hill to a green pasture. We waited and let them get out in the field then we moved down the hill and set up about 50 yards inside the woods. Something spooked the birds in the field just as we got seated and I thought the hunt was over, but the hens went left and the gobblers went right. I could hear the gobblers a good hundred yards out so I broke out the box call, gave a few loud yelps and some cutting and this big boy came trotting back down the hill towards us. He strutted in the field for a few minutes and then committed to us. He crossed a fence and covered about 10 yards when I told her, "Take him when your ready." She barely got "OK" out of her mouth before dropping the hammer on him. 40 stepped yards and he was DRT. That little Mossberg 20ga with HeviShot Magnum Blends has turned out to be a great combination. Luckily we were the only folks in the woods this morning, cause we had a hootin' and hollerin' celebration after I sprinted over and rang his neck for good measure.

Shot at 8:15am, 21 pounds, almost 10 inches of beard and 7/8" spurs. A really nice 2 year old gobbler. This one was a good bit bigger than her bird last year, so she was stoked. She helped me clean it when we got home. She said, "What a way to start Spring Break!" We had a wonderful hunt with very vocal birds. We never went more than 15 minutes without hearing a gobble. Two exciting hours in the woods this morning. Can't wait for regular season to open now.

She may have anger issues

Bipolar isn't out of the question either

hoosiernavy

Congrats to your daughter on a fine bird. Hope the rain doesn't mess with your afternoon hunt gophert. Good luck you guys

TnTurk

Congrats to your daughter. I'll bet she's a "spirited" little filly.   :lol:

greenhead11

MouthCaller

:TooFunny: love the pics and awesome story and hunt  :icon_thumright:

cannonball

whiskey

Quote from: TnTurk on March 24, 2012, 04:53:38 PM
Congrats to your daughter. I'll bet she's a "spirited" little filly.   :lol:

No one would ever accuse her of being quite and shy.  :character0029:

She wouldn't accept the second set up I tried to put us in. She said, "I can't see and I don't have enough shots. I want to move lower down the hill please." How do argue with good logic? I was reluctant to try and get closer because we could see the birds in the field, but it turned out to be the right choice.

I am so glad to see so many kids scoring on the TN youth hunt. TNDEER is full of success stories. Good luck to tomorrow's hunters too.

Winchester

I live for the Rut and Strut!