turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

why do we love turkey hunting so much?

Started by chrisun, March 23, 2012, 08:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol'Mossy

I like to get in the woods before daylight, then watch the sky start to lighten up, and listen for the woods to wake up. The first song of the Whipoorwil, the Robins starting to sing, then the Gobbler makes that Thunderous gobble that echos across the valley. Then I listen to my heart beating faster as I get excited getting ready to set up on him.

CASH

Ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy, gnats, snakes, and the punishing recoil of a magnum turkey load to the shoulder?
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Jake#5

the gobbling!! and the pride of outsmarting that ol tom

Spring_Woods

I also love that feeling when your closing in a roosted bird or on your way to setup on a HOTT bird. It's a pure adrenaline rush.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Gooserbat

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 23, 2012, 02:27:11 PM
The gobble! I like hearing them sound off. When it's closer then the last one that'll get your blood flowing

X2

Same thing goes for hard core elk hunters...because they bugle.  If turkey hunting was like hunting deer then it would just be hunting but it's not.  It's Turkey Hunting!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRKYHTR

Everything. I ain't got time to list it all.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

T-town

Other than wife saying "I love you", nothing cranks my plow like the sound of a turkey gobble

T-town

Quote from: CASH on March 23, 2012, 05:39:28 PM
Ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy, gnats, snakes, and the punishing recoil of a magnum turkey load to the shoulder?

That too

ccleroy

There's just nothing about the spring I don't love, I can't get enough of being out there and chasing turkeys and I've often pondered why but never once came up with a final answer.....Ive finally realized I don't want to know and am just happy to be able to keep hunting spring after spring. One thing about turkey hunting is I obsess about it throughout the year no matter the season. I just can't get enough.

handcannon

I guess it's cause it's a sport that I make happen. It's not like deer waiting. I make my own calls. I locate the birds. I scratch my head for hours trying to make a game plan to make things happen. The temperature is right, everything is coming back to life from winter. That close range gobble that kicks off that adrenaline rush right before you click the safety.......that's what it's all about.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: PaTurkHntr on March 23, 2012, 05:31:43 PM
I like to get in the woods before daylight, then watch the sky start to lighten up, and listen for the woods to wake up. The first song of the Whipoorwil, the Robins starting to sing, then the Gobbler makes that Thunderous gobble that echos across the valley. Then I listen to my heart beating faster as I get excited getting ready to set up on him.
Sums it up pretty well!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jakebird

For me it's such a collective experience. Obviously, I love the thrill of hearing them, seeing them, calling and hopefully tagging one. But there is so much more. Spring is so different in the woods than the fall. New life all around you, a new birth. All the sights, smells, and sounds just get me going. Every year I use some vac time and do a combo turkey and trout trip for about three days with my buddies. It's heaven on earth, man.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

timbrhuntr

Because its alot like moose hunting except they are easier to get back to the truck  ;D

redleg06

I love that after 23 seasons, I am always finding new and different ways to hunt them. I get bored with things pretty easy and with turkey hunting, I find I'm always learning something new about the birds themselves and different tactics...

...and there is just something I cant describe about hearing that first gobble of the morning. I NEVER get tired of hearing it.

chrisun

Let's not forget how good they taste either! Also it gives us a perfect excuse to buy stuff we really don't need.  ;D
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.