OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any one use the Shannon Bug Tamer Plus Leafy suit????

Started by Nick_The_Tinkerer, March 21, 2012, 09:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Looking fo rreal experience, it seems everytime I go in the woods im covered in ticks and am concerned about getting Lyme Disease.

Turkey Trot

Aside from a suit, you may want to try some less toxic approaches to curtail the bugs.  Drink a little apple cider vinegar several days in a row before you start going in the woods and see if that helps any.  Avon Skin So Soft helps keep them off too.  Then there are some things like Cactus Juice and REI sells products like eucalyptus oil that are natural repellants.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

swamppirate

Spray permethin (you can get it at wally world) on your CLOTHES only and let them air dry...this I can almost promise will cut down on 99% of tick activity....as a matter of fact it will kill them..
Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Quote from: swamppirate on March 21, 2012, 11:28:25 AM
Spray permethin (you can get it at wally world) on your CLOTHES only and let them air dry...this I can almost promise will cut down on 99% of tick activity....as a matter of fact it will kill them..

Im concerned about the side effects of dangerous chemicals.

swamppirate

Permethrin is used to treat scabies and head lice also...where it is applied directly to the skin. It is very low in toxicity and absorbs through the skin VERY POORLY....I'd take a chance with it rather than have lyme or Rocky Mountain spotted fever....
Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

RutnNStrutn

I've used Bug Tamer suits for years. They are great for mosquitos and other flying-biting insects. But they don't stop ticks. The ticks just crawl right up the suit and onto you. Go with the permethrin like the guys are recommending.

Gobblers_nightmare

Another vote for permethrin.  I'll take a chance on something believed to be safe, with low toxicity for mammals, etc, against the very real chance of Lyme disease, babesiosis, and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever in the very near future.  Ticks are a very rare thing for me anymore. 
Whiskey turned me on to this:
http://pestcontroloutlet.com/shop-by-product-type/concentrates/permethrin-10-livestock-dog-kennel-ticks-fleas-16oz
Dilute 19 to 1 for a .5% solution.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

nalley1952

They will not stop those small seed ticks at all!!