OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Burris Fastfire II battery life/replacement  (Read 16890 times)

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
Burris Fastfire II battery life/replacement
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »
I bought the FFII last season and am wondering if I should replace the battery before our season opens up.  I hunted around 30 days last season, till noon at the latest.  Keeping it on the entire hunt.   I know I have it dialed in now, and with having to take the entire mount off I'm hesitant to replace the battery if I don't need to.   Burris says a single battery will last up to 5 seasons.  Burris also says its precision pins avoid the need for any readjustment.. anyone have any experience with this?  I'd really hate to worry about sighting in mid season due to a battery going dead. Thanks.

Offline paladin

Re: Burris Fastfire II battery life/replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »
Shoot a sheet of paper at 10 yards with some #6 dove shot.
Remove the sight. Replace the sight. Shoot another paper target with the same load.
This will show you that it does hold a zero. Mark the top of both sheets.
The battery is said to last 10,000 hours. You are about 210 hours into that.
But batteries are cheap. Some say the original battery is not as good. Batteries have about a 10 year shelf generally. Use it this season then test the battery.
Cut it on and check it every day until it is dead. It should take a while. Then you can report to us.
"have gun-will travel"

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
yeah, I think we overthink this battery issues on these FF II's for the mere reason none of us want a reddot without a dot when we cut it on in crunch time with a turkey infront of us.  I've always wondered if the intensity of the dot or the dot starts to dim for lack of better terminology happens before it just goes out?  Anyone know?

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

BurrisOptics

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
I would suggest that you buy a new battery and replace the factory battery that is in there.  Re-zero just to double check POI and POA.  The pins should get you right back to zero but I always verify.  A fresh aftermarket battery should last you around 20,000 hours.  The factory battery is about half that.  Throw an extra battery in your vest.  The dot will not just shut off when the battery starts to die out.  It will slowly start to dim. 

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
Thanks for the responses.    :icon_thumright:

Offline whiskey

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:42:39 PM »
Why do you have to remove the entire mount? You can leave the mount in place and just remove the FFII using the two screws on top of the sight.

If you have a vise, lock the gun in a vise, sight on the wall across the room. Mark the spot on the wall where your dot is, then remove, change batteries, replace and check you sight to the marked spot on the wall.

I also like the bird shot at 10-15 yards if you don't have a bench vise.

Offline paladin

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:27:26 AM »
You are right Whiskey. the post will realign the sight. However If you use the protector it may be hit or miss on the realign. I have had good luck.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:57:15 AM by paladin »
"have gun-will travel"