OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any advice?

Started by hwy419, March 19, 2012, 11:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hwy419

4th year with no success. Going into 5th year... Maybe I'll come out with one! :) May have to beg one of you for a sympathy hunt  :'(

RutnNStrutn

Or I could come up there, wherever you are, and help you smash a gobbler's head!! :fud: :OGani:

redleg06

So you KNOW you're getting birds in to 60yds or so, repeatedly and they just arent finishing?

In other words, you're seeing them and not just speculating on the distance based on how far you think you're hearing him from? 

Bottom line- you've got to change something if this same thing has been recurring for 5 seasons.

I dont know if it's legal where you hunt but if you know their roosting habits then go in and hunt in the afternoon and try to get them on the way back to roost before they fly up. If you cant then maybe you'll at least be able to roost them for the next mornings hunt.

My best guess is that you're dealing with gobblers that have hens with them at flydown time...my solution to that would be to be patient and hunt them in the mid morning to early afternoon.  Hens eventually leave later in the morning and they're alot easier to call all the way in when they are lonely.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You're doing something very wrong.

Get someone to take you on your who is very good at killing turkeys.

mikejd

If you are waiting until the first gobble before you set up its already to late. You need to get in much earlier and I would get closer. I like to be under 100 yds if possible but that is only possible if I am very early. birds are less ikely to flush if its an hr before daylight. As a last resort I have actually flushed the birds from there rooste. because then the hens and gobbler will have to re hook up with a chance for you to intercept. kind of like breaking the flock in the fall.

redleg06

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 28, 2013, 10:10:06 PM

this is probably the best advice.  It's real hard to give specific advice without someone being "in the hunt" with you.

We've all had turkey hang up on us, just out of range, but for it to happen over and over and NEVER workout for you over 5 seasons...something is up.

hwy419

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 28, 2013, 10:10:06 PM

Anyone near Birmingham AL wanna make friends and do a hunt with me? I have access to plenty of property and birds...