North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Serious limit?

Started by rawalley, March 17, 2012, 02:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you guys stop killing after you reach your limit?

Yes
99 (91.7%)
No.... "Just Yanking Your Chain"
9 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Nick_The_Tinkerer

What amazes me is that there are 9 people that do not stop killing when they reach their legal limit...

rawalley

Quote from: mnturkey on March 21, 2012, 10:00:48 AM
Intresting post,
I have never harvested over my limit in any game animal but I have taked a few hen phesants that my dog found still alive but wounded, I could not leave the birds to rot.  I put them in my game bag and told my self that if the Game Warden comes by I would immediately own up to what happened and if he fines me I would pay the fine.
I cannot see leaving any game animal to rot.
Same thing happened to me in duck season.  If I kill the cripple im over my limit but I cant just leave it to suffer so I "break the law"
STAY HOME!

HunterMan

Stop shooting, but keep going.

rawalley

STAY HOME!

stinkpickle

When I reach my limit, I kill a bottle of whiskey.  Does that count?

lightsoutcalls

I hunted in OK a couple of years ago in an area that you could take 2 birds.  In that area, you don't check the birds.  That amazed me, as I had never heard of such.  In the state you could take 3 birds.  I ended up hunting in another part of the state that did require you to check your birds.  I got set up under a tree with my DSD decoys setup at 20 yards out.  I ended up dozing off and raising my head to see 3 gobblers strutting around my decoys.  I took the one with the longest beard.  I sat and called to the other 2 birds, who stayed within 40 yards for about 30 minutes or better.  One of those birds had feather tips almost as white as a merriams.  I so wished I had noticed that before I shot the one I did. I was hunting by myself.  I still physically had tags left since I didn't have to check the 2 birds from another county...  Man, it was a tough dilemma I must admit.  Nobody else had to know...  I got a couple of pictures of the white tipped bird and called them back from 70 yards to 30 yards numerous times until it started to rain.  It feels good to know that when the opportunity presented, I made the right choice.  
  I would much rather share that story than have to live with taking a bird I would love to have had mounted, but not be able to tell anyone about it with good conscience.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BrowningGuy88

I have never had the opportunity to kill more than my limit of 5 here in Bama. Maybe I am just not as good of a hunter as others or something, but I generally do good to kill 3 or 4!

Now I have killed two at a time three times - you are permitted to kill one a day here. The first two times, I shot the bird I was on and killed two - could I have helped it, maybe. I bought a tighter turkey choke and haven't done it since. The last time - I just got carried away. Two flew down to me and I shot one. He flopped and the other one just stood there. I rolled him up too.

Got home and felt bad about it, talked to the warden I know about it and left the rest of my 3 tags unfilled that year. I have not and will not do that again. The number in the freezer is not what it is all about to me. I just enjoy hunting the GREAT WILD TURKEY!!!

TennLongspur

I agree with those previous posts that this thread is absurd. but those willing to admit killing more than the legal limit at least let us know what kind of hunters and sportsmen they are.

The question itself seemed so rediculous because I would never dream of killing more than my limit. The thought would never enter my mind. The limit in Tennessee is four. If I am blessed enough to harvest that many birds this year, I will take my son or take someone who hasn't had as much luck, or take a camera.

What gives someone the right to think they can ... this question is getting my blood pressure up.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

870FaceLift

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 21, 2012, 10:27:33 AM
When I reach my limit, I kill a bottle of whiskey.  Does that count?

Ya Buddy!  What he said!
Pass it on...

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: TennLongspur on March 21, 2012, 10:57:27 AM
I agree with those previous posts that this thread is absurd. but those willing to admit killing more than the legal limit at least let us know what kind of hunters and sportsmen they are.

The question itself seemed so rediculous because I would never dream of killing more than my limit. The thought would never enter my mind. The limit in Tennessee is four. If I am blessed enough to harvest that many birds this year, I will take my son or take someone who hasn't had as much luck, or take a camera.

What gives someone the right to think they can ... this question is getting my blood pressure up.

You truly are blessed if you can take 4 gobblers in your state in a given season.  In the last 4 seasons of turkey hunting in AR, I have seen 1 gobbler, which I called in for my hunting buddy.  Public land here has more hunters than turkeys and some of us are not so fortunate as to have access to private land to hunt. 
  Be thankful for what you have.  God has blessed me with some incredible opportunities to hunt with folks out of state on their private land or land they have access to.  If it weren't for that, I would still be "birdless", as I have yet to take a bird in my home state.  I am grateful for the opportunites I have had to be put in the moral dilemma of "to shoot or not to shoot". 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Sherrell

Some years in Florida I will pass a few birds up just to extend my season since we only have a 2 bird limit.my Son got on my case last year for passing up a good bird.

Since he limited out the first weekend and can't carry a gun in the state of Florida the rest of the Spring,he now knows the old man isn't so crazy after all.he'll just have to be the caller.

joshb311

It's comforting to know that there are still some ethical people out there! Glad not everyone is just looking to slaughter their quarries and show some restraint.

Gobblers_nightmare

There's plenty of opportunity for continuing the hunt after filling your tags.  There always kids, newbies, and friends that need help.  You can guide, call, and film for them.  Bring the first bird in for somebody and it's as exciting as bagging your own.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

Neill_Prater

I think some of you guys are being a bit naive. We don't live in a perfect world. There are lots of guys that shoot over their limit, whether it be ducks, turkeys, or deer. I hope the majority on this board would not do so, but don't kid yourselves, it happens more than you care to know, especially in the South, with no accountability in the form of tags or check-in procedures, and extremely long seasons.

whiskey

I live in northern middle Tennessee. I get 3 birds in Tennessee. I also hunt in Kentucky, I could take 2 birds in KY. I live close to Fort Campbell, which is separate for bag limits and I could take 4 on Fort Campbell. I am in Alabama this week and the limit is 5. So legally I could take 14 birds if I am lucky. But the truth is, I doubt I get the opportunity to take 3 birds all spring. I usually hunt with someone else. I am just as happy to have my partner shoot as I am for me to shoot.