OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Serious limit?

Started by rawalley, March 17, 2012, 02:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you guys stop killing after you reach your limit?

Yes
99 (91.7%)
No.... "Just Yanking Your Chain"
9 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 100

rawalley

I fully realize what the limit is tho I can see how my op could be misleading.  Yes I suppose you could say im a little jelous because said hunters are obviously doing an awesome job.  My intention with the op was to get an idea how many guys take the limit seriously because I know quite a few fellas here in MS that exceed that limit multiple times over and it makes me sick.  I suppose i should have made the poll without the comment.
STAY HOME!

surehuntsalot

not everybody is the honest,law abidding  hunter
I personally know of 2 men last season claims to have taken 23 birds between them
I don't know if they killed 23 birds or not,but the day that I saw them and reported them,they had 5 in the back of the truck,nothing was ever done about the report either >:(
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Preacher

I have killed 2 this year already and if I get a Chance in the morning I will kill another ,  I will crawl, sneak, use decoys , and other legal methods , but I WILL STOP AT 3. in Mississippi.    I have not always but for the last 20 or so years I have,   Now I will continue to go with and take folks especially youngens.  and when we kill one we will dress it and eat it.     I ain't ashamed.
Romans 8:37

joshb311

Quote from: redarrow on March 17, 2012, 03:14:58 PM
Do you have any idea what the "LEGAL" limits are ? As for the one no vote I hope you get busted and put under the jail.

Amen to that brother! Someone that kills over their limit is a thief in my opinion. They are stealing from their fellow hunters as well as the environment.

socalturkeyman

weak topic! I dont even get a chance to come close to getting a limit on turkeys since I spend so much time on public land trying to help people get their first birds! Dont hate the people that bust birds every year and focus more on becoming that guy that does.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

rawalley

Quote from: socalturkeyman on March 20, 2012, 09:27:01 PM
weak topic! I dont even get a chance to come close to getting a limit on turkeys since I spend so much time on public land trying to help people get their first birds! Dont hate the people that bust birds every year and focus more on becoming that guy that does.
maybe read the previous post before commenting.
STAY HOME!

swamp_bird89

I don't stop, half the people on my place struggle to kill one.... :toothy12:

GeorgeJR

A older guy that I know old school 12 gauge Prob still using a fixed Modified choke with lead.  Limit is 1 bird here in WI unless extra tags are left (he had 1 take) One shot and drops 3 birds (poor / lack of pattering his gun IMO).  He ended up keeping two and leaving one as it was very small.  This was fall hunting, and I know the flocks can be fairly large, but one part of me says he should be using a tighter choke and pick out the shot better, while another part of me knows sometimes you do your best and still end up harvesting more then you should (Two bucks with 1 bullet second buck behind the first as an example).  Good thing is we can report what happened and the food can be taken by the DNR and they often give it to food pantries and makes a mistake into a blessing. 

I also used to drive for Fed Ex while in College and drive into some very remote locations.  I would see a deer hanging up which I knew was their only means to feed themselves and was harvested out of season w/o tags/permits.  I also knew they did odd jobs just to keep a roof over their heads and ammo to get food.  I would never contact the DNR on them and hope if they were ever caught the law would turn a cheek and understand survival means you do what you have to do.  Stealing bread from a store to put some food on the table... I don't know of any church (well possibly that one in Kansas that protests Military Funerals) that would not help put food on ones table, but if I was a store owner and understood the reason they tried to steal I would take them back into the store and donate some meat, milk, bread, and fruit and let them know to stop by on X day when we have items about to expire so we can help you out more.  This country wastes more food then many countries people could dream of every having. 

Clean your plates kids and don't waste the food you were provided... Someone tonight are going without food for another day.

jrseale82

I have never been lucky enough to kill my limit in one season.  Maybe this year...

GeorgeJR

I should point out to the guy noting nothing was done either after reporting....

In Southern WI IL residents that owned land in WI for hunting they would hunt w/o tags and harvest excessive deer for years.  Ended they got a tip on the location and took a flock of DNR but caught the entire group red handed with deer hanging I think it was this past year.  When others reported the DNR never had enough information to charge them and didn't have the location of the property.  Once that tip came they knew the land was isolated and would require extensive manpower to bust... So they decided it was time and bust they did.  

They have caught guys with over bag limits due to police traffic stops as another means to find those not following the laws.  

At the end of the day when their luck runs out the fines are steep and word travels.

Sherrell

Quote from: redarrow on March 17, 2012, 03:14:58 PM
Do you have any idea what the "LEGAL" limits are ? As for the one no vote I hope you get busted and put under the jail.

Couldn't agree more!

Dray223

There is no reason for anyone to have to hunt to survive anymore, not in this day in time.

bird

Guys don't get shook by the votes in the poll from people who say they won't stop.  100-1 odds these people vote this way just to see if they can get a rise out of someone.  These Polls are informal and subject to many short comings because of the lack of accountability. Personally I don't think much of the poll or the question.  Who in their right mind would openly on an social internet forum admit to poaching (which is what shooting over your limit is)?

Dray223

Just because they vote no doesnt mean they are addmitting to anything. They could be going to other states, hunting somewhere that allows bonus birds. Theres alot of open ends here.

mnturkey

Intresting post,
I have never harvested over my limit in any game animal but I have taked a few hen phesants that my dog found still alive but wounded, I could not leave the birds to rot.  I put them in my game bag and told my self that if the Game Warden comes by I would immediately own up to what happened and if he fines me I would pay the fine.
I cannot see leaving any game animal to rot.
SEMPER FI