turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Painting crystal and glass surface.

Started by 2Barrel, March 17, 2012, 11:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Barrel

Has anyone painted the underside of there crystal or glass surface ? If so how did you prep it ? Also, when reading the back of the Plumbers Goop package it says it may effect certain finishes. I plan on using a laquer spray paint and wonder if the Goop will "effect" it ?

ctwny1

If I were you...I would test it out first.

lightsoutcalls

I paint my glass soundboards.  I know that if I have any fresh Goop glue on my fingers when I apply the painted soundboard, the paint comes off wherever the glue touches it.  That likely wouldn't be an ideal situation if you have paint on the edge of the soundboard where you are going to glue it in the call. 

You'll never know until you try.  Good luck.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

2Barrel

I tryed it out on a small piece of glass. Seems like it worked fine. Didnt melt the paint at all. It was a lacquer spray paint.

triune

Don't do it.  The goop will seem to hold fine but I will guess half your glass or crystal will pop out of the pot before the end of the year.  I've done a lot of painting and engraving on the underside of the call surface for other callmakers and I will engrave a ring around the outside.  Then the "outer ring" that is left will need to be removed for the goop to hold properly.  Learned this the hard way when starting to engrave on painted glass.
Now if you are counting on the edge of the glass to be your bond to the pot then  you might get by.
Good luck,
Kenny

2Barrel

I will definately heed the warnings. Not gonna do it. Thank fellas.