OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

KE

Started by deersled, March 12, 2012, 10:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deersled

It seems the general consensus is expandable heads are ok to turkey hunt with IF you have sufficient kenetic energy. How much is considered sufficient?

MOStrutter

If you are shooting a bow made within the last 10 years and are pulling at least 50 pounds then you really don't have much to worry about, as long as you aren't shooting turkeys past 30 yards. If you are shooting a light poundage bow, that doesn't get up in the 250 fps mark, then you may want to shoot a fixed blade or a small mechanical that opens from the rear not the front.  Turkeys are a lot different than deer.  Your shots should be close and its actually a good things to keep that arrow in a turkey as he runs off.  Like everyhting, shot placement is the most important aspect.  You can have all the KE in the world, but if you miss your spot, you're probably gonna lose your bird.

fallhnt

I have 2 bows set up. 70 # with mechanicals and a 60# with fixed heads.Both are 27in draw.Last fall I shot a gobbler at 12 yrds.,with the 70# draw bow, and the mechanical head hit the wingbutt and did not penitrate.I shot the bird in the back as he was walking away and that put him down.The first arrow went in about an inch.I'll be using my 60#bow this spring.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bcc2011

I would say at least 80% for kinetic energy with an expandable broadhead. Arrow weight is the key factor in getting the most kinetic energy your bow can obtain at your draw length and weight.
Brother Custom Calls

deersled

80% of what? I've only seen KE listed in pounds.

savedbygrace

Quote from: deersled on March 12, 2012, 10:27:22 AM
It seems the general consensus is expandable heads are ok to turkey hunt with IF you have sufficient kenetic energy. How much is considered sufficient?

I think (if I remember correctly) I'm shooting around 66.75 ft.lbs. of KE..give or take. I have a 26.5" DL and shooting 70lbs. Over the last 2 years I've killed 5 birds ranging from 12-24 yards. 3 were from the side and 2 were from the back (bird was facing me but had his head down feeding)....all birds dropped and flopped where they stood. I got excellent penetration with no pass throughs. 2 birds were killed with the older model turkey-tom-a-hawk 150gr 3.5" cutting diameter and the other 3 were killed with the newer model 125gr 2.5" CD.

In short, even with my short DL, my KE is way more than enough.

deersled

not to get too overly scientific, but how bout a number.....40,50,60lbs? hat you might think of a minimum.

savedbygrace

Quote from: deersled on March 14, 2012, 05:22:25 PM
not to get too overly scientific, but how bout a number.....40,50,60lbs? hat you might think of a minimum.

Not sure if you were talking to me or not with the above post, but this is what Easton recommends...

KE

< 25 ft. lbs.
Small Game

25-41 ft. lbs.
Medium Game (deer, antelope, etc.)

42-65 ft. lbs.
Large Game (elk, black bear, wild boar, etc.)

> 65 ft. lbs.
Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.)

Myself personally for turkey? I wouldn't want anything under 25 ft. lbs. I'd want to stay between 30-60 ft. lbs. Just my personal crappy opinion though.

savedbygrace

With a large cutting diameter mech. head (to add to that above) if I'm not using something like a bullhead.

deersled

thanks. I turned my bow down to where I believe I am getting about 51-52 lbs of KE. Just wanted to see if that was enough with a Rage. thanks you

bcc2011

Hey sorry man i meant pounds, I've tested alot of mechanical broadheads threw many different types of materials. Most mechanical broadheads to me need an efficient amount of ke to open up all the way. Check this website out to find out your ke, I find it pretty accurate

http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/
Brother Custom Calls

savedbygrace

Quote from: deersled on March 14, 2012, 08:26:20 PM
thanks. I turned my bow down to where I believe I am getting about 51-52 lbs of KE. Just wanted to see if that was enough with a Rage. thanks you

Very welcome my friend. With a rage and 51-52 ft. lbs I think you will be just fine. Good luck.

MOStrutter

If you are a big rage fan, like I am, and you are worried about KE issues, try the three blade.  I have always shot the three blade over the two for a few reasons.  It gets better penetration ( I only shoot 60 ounds with a 27" draw length), and it actually has more of a cutting surface than the two blade.  The two blade has a large cutting diameter which looks great in pictures and but it needs so much more force to get the same about of penetration as the three blade.  Just a suggestion.

savedbygrace

If I were shooting Rage for turkeys I'd would also probably shoot the 3 blade. Don't get me wrong I know shot placement is key and a turkey can be killed with a small fixed blade head just as well with a large cutting diamete mech head. That is true but with turkeys I like to have as much cutting diameter as I can because of the smaller vital areas as compared to a deer. I'm not purposefully trying to make a bad shot on a bird but good Lord forbid if I do, I want the largest cutting diameter I can get. I guess that's why I like the turkey tom o hawks. Large cutting diameter and they will forever more thump a gobbler. Thank the good Lord the ones I've hit with it so far have dropped and flopped where they stood. But I think to each his/her own and you will perform better with what you have the most confidence in.

maineguide

I shoot 55# and use a Rage 2 blade. Last spring I shot a turkey and the Rage opened that bird like a can opener. It was a broadside shot.
:OGturkeyhead: