OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Today was a GOOD DAY to pattern the 835 and some hevi straight 7s!  (Read 28239 times)

Offline joeculb

Re: Today was a GOOD DAY to pattern the 835 and some hevi straight 7s!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
I've looked at a lot of pictures on here, but Hokie Smoke !!! I think I'll order a couple of those chokes. One for my 935 and one for the uncles 835

Offline MagnumBill

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:44 PM »
That's a great pattern! 
What kind of sights do you have...scope, red dot? POI and POA are good too.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »
I use the Bushnell Trpohy multi-reticle red dot mounted on a weaver base.  I have the reticle "locked" on the circle/dot plex with a drop of crazy glue, but even without the sight, the gun, in fact all three of my 835's have always hit poi to poa or very, very close.  I did have this particular gun "tweeked" just a teenie tiny bit.  The barrel is mirror pollished right down to the chamber and was chrome plated by a local company here near me, the trigger was worked to right about 3 pounds and breaks like glass.  Wether or not the chrome plating helps I'm not sure but it sure seems to get clean and stay clean better than my other two 835's with barrels that are highly pollished as well.   Point of fact, this gun has only ever missed one bird in over 60 plus shots taken on live birds and that was the old man last year as I lent him ole' "Geane Tripplehorn" as I have named her because I was carrying my "little Monster" 20 I did up this past spring.  He had a big gobbler strutting at 30 yards and missed him clean...killed the crap outta the 4" maple sapling that was maybe 5 or 6 yards from the end of the muzzle though.  He tried to blame it on the gun and shell combo I told him to use (3" hevi stright 6"s through the BC choke) but when I looked where he said the bird was standing I walked over and pushed the sapling over with one finger and said, "Well Here's yer problem"!!!  He has taken more turkeys than most guys have ever seen in their lifetimes so you understand the severe, and almost constant ribbing he got for such a blunder!  Still jab him in the ribs over that every now and then...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline Okiehntr12

Today was a GOOD DAY to pattern the 835 and some hevi straight 7s!
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Which bone collector choke is this exactly. I see three in there lineup gobble stopper strut stopper and one other I can't remember.

Offline pdaugherty

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 04:28:06 PM »
Are straight 7s all that you've shot through it? I'd really like to see how the MagBlend does.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »
Which bone collector choke is this exactly. I see three in there lineup gobble stopper strut stopper and one other I can't remember.

The Bone Collector Choke "SmackDown" is their newest choke.  None of their previous models carry the logo.  I could do without the fact that they associated themselves with those tools the bone collectors, but I have to admit, they hit a home run with this choke! 

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
Are straight 7s all that you've shot through it? I'd really like to see how the MagBlend does.

It shot really well with every load I put through it actually!  Straight 6's, Mag Blends, Fed Heavy Weight 7's, Win Ext. Rng. 6's and Win. and Fed. PB 6's.  I got 159 in the 10" with the older Federal Premium Copper Plated 6's at 40 yards too if that tells you anything.  It even shot the Hevi Shot 4's fairly well...well enough that I wouldn't wana be a turkey inside between the optimal pattern and the killing range of those pellets that's for sure!  (I will not say the range as I respect the site owners' wishes on ethical ranges and I agree, but let's just say if I had to I could take a serious poke at a bird!  ;) )   It may just be I found the perfect combo for this gun, but to shoot literally EVERY load I put through it?  Just can't be a coincidence imo...

Offline MossbergMike

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »
Wow Nice pattern! :OGturkeyhead:

Offline heath42

Today was a GOOD DAY to pattern the 835 and some hevi straight 7s!
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 02:08:48 AM »
Nice! Might be a good first choke for me to try out. let us know how that star dot works out for you!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:14:32 AM by heath42 »

Offline n2deer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »
What's the restriction of that choke?

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2018, 12:18:27 PM »
Just had to  bring this ttt for some of you new guys...

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2018, 07:47:03 AM »
I'm with Joe.  My 835 LOVES the 7's with a Pure Gold choke.  300 plus (never really counted total numbers)  cleaned and polished the barrel and added a Bushnell Red dot.  The 7's HAMMER birds.