turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

first custom call

Started by ohiohunter, February 07, 2011, 12:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiohunter

Looking for my first custom pot call. Any suggestions?

Roostem33

Take your pick in the classifieds there all good call makers.
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

joshua

I love my Lights out aluminum and the slate I just got from A+J calls.  Both calls are well built and sound unreal.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

sugarray

Mother Lode calls.  Joe Slaton, TRKYHTR.  His calls are awesome.  I am sending him some wormy chestnut from my FIL's parents first home. 

mossy835

Pappy here on the board, nice to work with up front on his price and he delivers what you asked for. The others I do not know yet but if long time members use the product and recommend them they must be good (word of mouth versus advertisement).

Extremesolo

I too would recommend A+J for a custom call.  I have a slate, glass, and two different aluminum calls from him as well as about 12 different strikers.  I have never once been disappionted in the sound, looks or quality of any item I have ever got from Andy.  He is a standup guy and I can assure you he will not send out a piece he wouldn't use himself.  You will not regret having Andy build you a call.

papabuzzard

I would recommend contacting Jack Mincey (user name on this forum is flyrod444).  I just received one of his pot calls made from oak burl.  It is a piece of art and puts forth an awesome sound.  You can see his pot calls on this forum if you look around.

dreis3

Good luck once ya buy the first one, you WILL be overcome with the urge to buy more.  The best callmakers around, IMO, frequent this site.  You honestly cannot go wrong with many of the guys on the forum...  Jack "Pappy" Lewis (pappy), Bobby Vanover (Hillbilly280), Jack Mincey (flyrod444), Wendell Rye (lightsoutcalls), Daryl Slaton (Daryl), Ryan Bonjour (Bonjour), and Andy Kaiser (Gobblerstopper) are some of the favorites around here.  Most of which I've had some interaction with during my time here at OG and all are stand up guys!  Good Luck.... Picking just one!

-Derick
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

hookedspur

Be careful this can be addictive . :lol:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mcgruff1533

My first custom call came from AJ Calls.     It's a Zebrawood pot with a slate surface over glass soundboard.   The striker is made from Cherry and has a Bocote inlay.     It's an awesome call that makes very subtle Turkey sounds.    I use this call when hunting tight cover.

My second custom call came from Lights Out Calls.   It's a Bubinga pot with an anodized aluminum surface over glass.    The striker is made from Dymondwood.    It's loud and raspy which is exactly what I wanted for hunting open areas such as a large cut corn field.     

My third custom call is still in the works, but I'm talking to Jim at Warbird Calls right now.     I'm still undecided on the wood, since I can't seem to choose between Macassar Ebony, Regnas Tiger, or a Laminated pot.     Regardless of the wood selection, the calling surface will be Copper and the soundboard will be glass.

This custom call thing is an addiction!

Basser69

pappy

I got to tell ya...........THIS STUFF WILL GET TO YOU AND YOUR NOT GONNA ESCAPE IT........^#$^#%&$^*^(^(^$#^#^$!!!!!!$#^^$%**
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206