OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: rem. 887 ?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
rem. 887 ?
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »
i have a friend that is looking at a rem. 887 he asked me if i knew anything about it but i dont so i came to the one place i know there is someone that knows about this gun any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline coyotetrpr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: rem. 887 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »
I have no personal experience with them, but I hear that they are junk and a disgrace to the remington name.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Offline Nick_The_Tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:40 PM »
never shot one - but having a gun with what seems like 1/16 to and 1/8 of plastic everywhere makes it rather bulky in look and feel

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 06:30:18 AM »
I have no personal experience with them, but I hear that they are junk and a disgrace to the remington name.
i thought i heard the same thing so i'll tell him just exactly what i know thanks for the info. men

Offline C J Stahly

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:25:39 AM »
I have never shot one; therefore, I can't comment on how they function.  What I can comment on is how they look, feel, and handle.  I am a remington guy.  From the first 870 youth express mag my dad bought me when I was 7 years old to the 870, 1100s, and still the youth 870 I still have.  I wouldn't own an 887.  They are bulky, and uncomfortable to shoulder, and hold.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
They are pretty good boat paddles and anchors.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:01:02 AM »
Ok, the 887 was an attempt to make a completely weather proof, all weather shotgun, mainly for waterfowl.  The problem with them is they aren't just an 870 with some armour on it.  They are a completely different design that has from the get go, had problems with jamming and durability issues.  The whole armour concept is a good one imo...it works for the Nova...but the nova works, most of the time anyways.  The gun is actually very well designed ergonomically, with good fit shootability.  That being said, they can be very finicky to get to pattern well. It is not an 870...never meant to be one and I think that's where guys get lost with the 887. It doesn't feel like one and it sure doesn't look like one. There are much better choices for turkey guns in the price range...much better choices.  If it weren't for all the feed/cycle and metalurgy issues, it would have been a great all weather shotgun but again its a gun remington never should have put out without another year at least on the test range...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
thanks for all the info... that feller ended up with a charles daily auto he has an 835 that doesnt pattern well and he wont listen when i tell him to polish the barrel and get a good choke i told him the 835 is likely one of the best turkey guns but since i took to one of my spots last year and he missed with it he doesnt have any confidence in it

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »
the 887 is JUNK,the charles daly auto isn't much better,he needs to get a good choke for that 835 and he will be set
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
thats what i told him him to do i told him he had one of the best guns for turkey if he'd just do a little work and get a good choke he said im not paying 40-80 bucks for a choke and then he goes and buys a whole different gun

Offline tyelper

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
send me your address i have a brand new tru glo gobble stopper for an 835 ill give you to change his confidence,,,,,,,,,,,

jeff