OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Full Strut Decoys?  (Read 12953 times)

Offline Yooper

Full Strut Decoys?
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
Ok, there was a good discussion about 1/2 strut decoys... now, what about full strut decoys?  Do they work?  Is there a better set up/jakes/hens?

Offline Gamblinman

• Double Beard
  • Major Flagelator
    • Georgia Deer Cam
Re: Full Strut Decoys?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:55:58 AM »
I used both and find the half-strut to be less intimidating. I've had birds balk, or not even come to the full strut. Hunt the next day with the half-strut, same birds, come right to it. Happened too many times to be just coincedence.

The full struts will work...just not as often

Gman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
+1  I have had the exact same experiences....given the situation and demeanor of the bird will depend on what his reaction to the type of decoy you have out
I used both and find the half-strut to be less intimidating. I've had birds balk, or not even come to the full strut. Hunt the next day with the half-strut, same birds, come right to it. Happened too many times to be just coincedence.

The full struts will work...just not as often

Gman

Online RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
I have had some incredible hunts with full strut dekes. Had birds come charging in and attack the strutter deke, had them come in and circle him, had them come in a walk near him, etc..........all of which resulted in dead birds, sometimes more than one.
BUT, it doesn't always work. Much less frequently, I've had gobblers skirt the set up 'cause they didn't want to mess with a strutter. Then again, I've also had the same thing happen with jake dekes. I mostly use my strutting deke in the early season, and I've had great results. I plan on continuing to use him.

Offline coyotetrpr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
I use a full strutter with a jake fan. From what I have found if there are multiple toms hanging together they WILL come in. If there is a lone tom he probably will, but it is not guaranteed. I do think that the jake fan helps with less dominant birds.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Offline northms

• Mississippi
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
My full strut decoy, "jonathan", has taken many a turkey's lives.  I know full strutters get a bad name sometimes but I've only had once that a gobbler didn't come in on account of the strutter in my opinion. 

More times than not I've had him work his magic on many gobblers.   :OGturkeyhead:

Offline Tuttle

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
I've taken several turkeys over my strutter decoy and have only once had one react negatively toward it (too bad for him, he was already in range :)   ).  With that being said, I've also had hens and toms react negatively toward a single hen decoy.  I think that sometimes their senses kick in and they just know that something isn't right.  I typically use the strutter in early season but have had success with it throughout but with all the latest rage being on jake decoys, I'm trying out the DSD jake this year.  I will still use my strutter on occasion because I KNOW it works but look forward to trying this jake out too.  Again, just my opinion but I believe that sometimes nothing will work, other times, anything will work.  All I hope to do is find what works really well and use it until something better comes along.   

Offline afoshie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »
I have a full strut decoy and have stored it away. I have had multiple birds come within 100 yds or edge of the wods and see it then leave. Jake decoy for me.

Offline MouthCaller

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
In my expierience Ive sat a hen down in breeding position with a jake not even in a strut/half strut nothing and have had them charge in and Ive had a Killer-b last year scare off a 2 year old 9'' bearded turkey in Mississippi last year.

Offline Reloader

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
I can tell you that there is one situation that they are golden in, a very dominant tom's turf.

Ever get on an old tom that's real stubborn to calling, one of those wise old rascals that does it nature's way by making the hens come to him?  Alot of those old birds will flat whip younger toms when they come around. Get two old toms running together and they can be flat mean to other toms that get around their flock.  That is the best scenario for a full strut decoy IME.  I rarely use em, but when that situation comes up, I'll give it a run.  They will sometimes leave a whole flock of hens to come whip that decoy.  

A few years back I had been scouting several birds in one area.  As the breeding time neared prior to the season, these two monster 4yos laid down the law.  They liked a certain food plot every morning, which was great for me as I had a great glassing point about 900yds away.  Those bad boys wouldnt have any part of any other tom on their turf.  The weekend before the season they were holding a good pattern, so I came up with a plan for my Dad to get on them.  I told him right where to put my full strut decoy before light.  He did and the plan almost worked to the T.  Those rascals went about their daily routine with a pile of hens and when they hit the plot and saw that decoy, they left the hens and went straight to it for the butt kicking to begin.  Dad missed!!!!!  I was bummed, but it's part of the game.  I slipped in there and pole axed one of those big rascals the next day :D

Other than that, I dont like fooling with them much.  I will use one once in a while if I'm field hunting and theres a big flock in the area. Many times in thick areas your much better with no decoys at all.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:06:19 PM by Reloader »

Online mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
I have a full strut decoy and have stored it away. I have had multiple birds come within 100 yds or edge of the woods and see it then leave. Jake decoy for me.

x2

I've had only jakes come into a strut or 1/2 strut, but I've had 5-6 full toms tuck tail and run at the first sight of any strutter.  That was enough of that!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
no doubt that jakes are the best bet...IMO...less threatening to most mature birds in a pecking order :funnyturkey:

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
don't use a full strut decoy,once in a blue moon I'll use a jake
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 05:10:43 AM »
When I set dekes it's usually 2 hens and a jake. I have had gobblers attack the jake, ignore the jake, but never can I say act frightened and scoot off. That being said, I have a strutter that I plan on using more during the early season.

Offline rivermafia

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 10:08:05 AM »
Look at the spin-n-strut decoy. i bet you'll be impressed. i was the first time i set it up and one came running from 200 yds away! it's smaller than the pretty boy