turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Truglo Strut Stopper TG150 Remchoke

Started by yelpy, March 03, 2012, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpy

I just found this choke when going through my old stuff. Does anyone know the constriction?

Does anyone happen to shoot one of these in there Rem? I no longer have a Rem shotgun but just wanted get some info. I know I ran #5's lead in a 2 and 2 1/4 oz Fed load through it but never patterned the 870 with this choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: yelpy on March 03, 2012, 01:24:58 PM
I just found this choke when going through my old stuff. Does anyone know the constriction?

Does anyone happen to shoot one of these in there Rem? I no longer have a Rem shotgun but just wanted get some info. I know I ran #5's lead in a 2 and 2 1/4 oz Fed load through it but never patterned the 870 with this choke.

If it's a TG150X it's has an exit diameter of .643 and is the SSX. There is an older model TG150 that has an exit diameter of .665. Those chokes have very different internal geometry. Both however are rated for all lead and for Hevi-Shot as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

yelpy

Thanks for the replies.

It is a TG150 not the TG150X. I believe it was there first ported tube they had come out with.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: yelpy on March 04, 2012, 09:46:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.

It is a TG150 not the TG150X. I believe it was there first ported tube they had come out with.

That choke is very much like the Mark Bansner designed choke that has become a rare find and commands quite a premium today. It works very well with many shells.

I'd recommend that you give it a try with some Hevi-13 shotshells. You may like what you see.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

yelpy

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 04, 2012, 11:13:35 PM
Quote from: yelpy on March 04, 2012, 09:46:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.

That choke is very much like the Mark Bansner designed choke that has become a rare find and commands quite a premium today. It works very well with many shells.

I'd recommend that you give it a try with some Hevi-13 shotshells. You may like what you see.

Thanks,
Clark

Thank you for the info Clark.

If I ever come across an 870 for a good price before I decide to get rid of the choke I will give it a whirl and see what comes of it. Maybe I can find someone around the area I live in that would be willing to try it out of there gun and see what happens. 

Longshanks

Just found a SSX TG150X. This choke being .643 I am wondering if it would be safe to shoot Hevi 3.5 6's.
Have 6 boxes so while practicing social distancing am wanted to use these 3.5 6's although they are not my favorite. Actually like the Hevi 3/2/6's and 3/2/7's better.

briton

I've got one (.643)and I used it for a long time until tss came available. It will shoot the hevi shot #7 awesome, and the mag blends decent. Too tight for long beards and blew pattern.

WildTigerTrout

I own a TG150 Mark Bansner Remchoke.  I bought it almost 20 years ago.  Cost me $50 at the time if I remember correctly.  That was a lot money then for a choke.  IMO it's made better than any of their new chokes.  I also have a TG Bansner choke for my Browning BPS 10 ga.  They both work very well. I have not used anything but lead though.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

owlhoot

I have an older one for the Beretta 12 gauge. Solid choke, good performer.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Longshanks on March 23, 2020, 03:44:02 PM
Just found a SSX TG150X. This choke being .643 I am wondering if it would be safe to shoot Hevi 3.5 6's.
Have 6 boxes so while practicing social distancing am wanted to use these 3.5 6's although they are not my favorite. Actually like the Hevi 3/2/6's and 3/2/7's better.

You're good to go.  It's what it was designed for...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

EZ

I'm no expert on chokes but .643 seems extremely tight for the 2 and 2 1/4 oz. payloads. Generally speaking, the tighter the choke the lighter the load....like 1 3/4oz.

I don't know how those TG chokes compare to Mark's reworked barrels, but he always suggested 2 3/4" shells that were 1 5/8 oz. #4s. That was many years ago.

chipper

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 26, 2020, 11:48:20 PM
I own a TG150 Mark Bansner Remchoke.  I bought it almost 20 years ago.  Cost me $50 at the time if I remember correctly.  That was a lot money then for a choke.  IMO it's made better than any of their new chokes.  I also have a TG Bansner choke for my Browning BPS 10 ga.  They both work very well. I have not used anything but lead though.

Bought the same choke around 25 years ago and just recently shot it with handloaded 2 oz Tss #9 and it shot a beautiful pattern.

briton

I might try the federal tss 9 thru mine. Does anyone know if the newer flight control wads would do ok out of the .643?

surehuntsalot

have the .550 version in the 20ga
shoots the HW 7's very well
it's not the harvest,it's the chase