OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbox Help Please

Started by TnTurk, February 06, 2011, 11:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnTurk

I need some help with one of my longboxes. I have a Billy White Cackler Box that has a little sing or whine on the back stroke, and only on the left side of the box. The right side has a quiet "whisp", like it should be. What could be causing the back stroke to make that sound? I don't know if Mr. White is making boxes anymore since last I heard he was in bad health, so any help from box call makers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Steve

pappy

Sometimes the paddle may not be hitting exactly right due to a change in the curvature of the bottom side, may be a little thicker on the soundboard on the area you are talking about, the paddle could be mounted just a little off center, the possibilities are endless, due to the fact that it is not a massed produced call, but made by a mastercraftsman hands. Working a longbox is always challanging, that is why they are in sucj great demand, it is the challange of getting to know your call and making it sing no matter the obstacles you may encounter. Pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

blackfalcon

What condition is the chalk in? Has it been left on the box for a year or more?

TnTurk

Quote from: blackfalcon on February 09, 2011, 07:21:04 PM
What condition is the chalk in? Has it been left on the box for a year or more?
The chalk was left on the box from last spring. I know I should of wiped it clean, but I didn't. I cleaned the paddle with an alcohol wipe the left it close to the fireplace for a couple of hours to dry. Next, I lightly rubbed the paddle with some green scotch pad to further remove any leftover residue. I then reapplied the chalk (white) that came with the call. Like I said earlier, the left side has the desired "wisp" on the backstroke, but the right has a very noticeable "whine" on the backstroke. I ran it again today for about 30 minutes solid hoping that it was just trying to find it's sweet spot again. The only thing I got out of it was a lot of mean looks from the wife. The call is walnut with a purpleheart lid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for Your Reply,   Steve

blackfalcon

Sorry to keep asking questions,just trying to help, but have you tried contacting Billy? Without hearing or seeing the box, it is difficult to offer suggestions, but whenever one has a problem with a call, the first thing to do is to try contacting the call maker. The paddle and especially the sound boards are critical areas, as little as it might seem as running a finger along the soundboards can change the way a call plays, as oils from fingers can be transferred to the call. Any sanding might do more harm than good especially if you have no or little experience in tuning a call, and the last thing a call maker wants to hear is about someone doing this to a call. My only other suggestion might be to possibly try another chalk, such as the red that Oatsj was selling on here and see if that helps any. Other than that, your best bet is to contact the call maker.

Hillbilly280

Steve I would contact Billy and ask him about it.He might could tell you what it is or he can fix it for you.Sure he would.

Bobby
VANOVER GAME CALLS

TnTurk

Quote from: blackfalcon on February 10, 2011, 01:18:14 PM
Sorry to keep asking questions,just trying to help, but have you tried contacting Billy? Without hearing or seeing the box, it is difficult to offer suggestions, but whenever one has a problem with a call, the first thing to do is to try contacting the call maker. The paddle and especially the sound boards are critical areas, as little as it might seem as running a finger along the soundboards can change the way a call plays, as oils from fingers can be transferred to the call. Any sanding might do more harm than good especially if you have no or little experience in tuning a call, and the last thing a call maker wants to hear is about someone doing this to a call. My only other suggestion might be to possibly try another chalk, such as the red that Oatsj was selling on here and see if that helps any. Other than that, your best bet is to contact the call maker.
I'll call Mr. White to see if he can offer any suggestions. It's the only longbox I've got at this time and I use it quite a bit. I would hate to know I was hunting without my longbox this spring. Thank you Sir for your help, Steve