OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hooks Harrison Hoot n Stick

Started by 870BkWht, February 22, 2011, 02:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

I just received my Harrison Hoot n Stick and Im excited to use it.  I have not even attempted to blow it.  I was just curious if there were any special pointers I needed to know about before I start to practice with it.  Ive used a few production owl hooters before and have not been impressed, and with the advice of a fellow board member, I purchased this call.  I have high hopes for a realistic owl call. 

Thanks
Ben

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

shootumindaface

Very little back pressure and very little air.. A good percentage of folks this weekend at the show I watched blew the heck out of it.. After having them scale back the air a bit, they were hitting the right notes.

t_eagen13

Good choice!  :icon_thumright: I got a custom Harrison hooter for this spring also. The call is easy to blow and like shootum says you don't need to blow too much air into the call to get the right sound. My best advice is just to practice a bunch, that's what I've tried to do for the last few weeks.

870BkWht

shootem,  what do you mean by little back pressure?  Is it necessarry or recomended to cup your hands to creat a sound chamber or would this be an exercise in futility? 

joshua

Just reduce the amount of air you blow into it and it will give you the right tone.  The tone sounds better when using it outside as compared to blowing it inside.   :anim_25:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

shootumindaface

Quote from: 870BkWht on February 22, 2011, 08:25:09 PM
shootem,  what do you mean by little back pressure?  Is it necessarry or recomended to cup your hands to creat a sound chamber or would this be an exercise in futility? 
Yes cup your hands but leave a good size opening on one side or the other.. The call will run with no back pressure, but a little gives you those "hollow" mellow tones of a real owl..

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.