OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Burris FFIII 3 or 8 MOA

Started by pa b0whunt3r, February 27, 2012, 01:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carp

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going with the 8.

BandedSpur

It would be cool if Burris could show pix on their website through the sight with the 3 vs 8 MOA dot at a turkey decoy at 40 yds to help us with the decision.

Skeeterbait

Quote from: BandedSpur on June 27, 2012, 01:35:27 PM
It would be cool if Burris could show pix on their website through the sight with the 3 vs 8 MOA dot at a turkey decoy at 40 yds to help us with the decision.

Since this is an unlimited eye relief device and some guys mount it closer or further from the eye, the area of the target it covers will vary somewhat.  But at what ever distance from the eye Burris used to gauge the dot size, 8 minute of angle will cover 8 inches of target at 100 yards and 4 inches of target at 50 yards.  The 3 minute of angle dot will cover 3 inches of target at 100 yards and 1.5 inches of target at 50 yards.

So at 40 yards, the 8 moa dot is going to cover 3.2 inches of target and the 3 moa dot is going to cover 1.2 inches.  This is approximate as I said depending on the distance of the eye to the sight.  But basically the 8 moa is going to cover the head and the 3 moa only part of the head at 40 yards.  

SKFOOTER

So, has there been any difference of opinion since this thread started 2+ years ago??? :OGturkeyhead:

USMC0331

Depending on how tight your shotgun shoots  and or eye sight will let you know which is best per each individual. The 3 moa dot is for more precise shot. The 8 moa dot will be much quicker to get on target but will not be  as  precise as the 3 moa past 25 yards.

SKFOOTER

So for someone with less than perfect eyesight, would you recommend the 3MOA or the 8 MOA???

the Ward

I have the  3min dot  FF3 and after using it for awhile i think i would have rather gotten the 8min dot   for a turkey gun. It would have been plenty precise enough for putting a pattern on a turkeys noggin plus a lot easier to pick up quicker in bright sunlight. Still a great sight though, but i honestly like my bushnell trs 25 just as much at half the price.

chatterbox

I found the 8 MOA dot better suited to me over the 3 MOA.
I just think that it is easier to pick up on a bright day, and when you need to pick the dot up quickly, the 8 is easier, and I don't think it handicaps you at all.

Cut N Run

I've got a FFII with 8 m.o.a. on a speed bead base on my SBE II & love it.  If I were shooting a single projectile, a wider dot might be an issue, but considering that the shot pattern also expands with distance, I don't see where the width of the dot matters that much. Put it where you want to hit and let it roll.

I pattern the gun at the range at 50 yards maximum and use a 3 inch orange dot in the center of a 10 inch circle on a 30" square sheet of brown kraft paper.  When the dot in the scope covers the dot on the target, she's centered & will eat the target up

For 16 years, I used to turkey hunt with a Stevens single shot with a lone bead at the end of the barrel. That bead was big enough to obscure a gobbler's head beyond 30 yards, but I'd just hold the bead under his chin & let it roll.  I never missed or lost a single with that gun either. This Fast Fire allows a much better sight picture.  I can also use the gun's beads if the battery ever fails.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.