OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Burris FFIII 3 or 8 MOA  (Read 43517 times)

Offline glennz

Re: Burris FFIII 3 or 8 MOA
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:31:21 AM »
I have the 8 and like it. Was a little concerned at first but it seems perfect for turkeys. At 20 yds I can pick a waddle and aim on it and at 40yds I just line up the dot with his head.

Offline sugarray

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »
The 3 MOA dot on my Mueller is small and hard to pick up in the bright mornings.  I have never had a problem with the 8 MOA covering too much of the turkey.

Offline Begbie

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Can anyone post a few photos of the 8 or even the 3 MOA dots on the FF III. I want to order one but I'm having a difficult time choosing without seeing either - none in the shops close to me.

Cheers.

Offline Hayman

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 10:37:27 PM »
I ordered a 8moa yesterday hope I like it should have it tomorrow only place I could find one was at Midways. I really thought I wanted a 3 moa but didn't have the patience to wait. Will let y'all know what I think when it arrives.

BurrisOptics

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
I shot 2 birds this year using both the FF2 w/ 4moa dot and with the new FF3 w/ 8 moa dot.  Both of them worked very well as I expected.  One thing I noticed about the 8 moa was that if you stretch the distance a bit you can quickly tell.  The dot size is very noticeable at the longer distances.  Both birds were at my longest comfortable shooting distance but with the 8 I knew it immediately.  I don't know if that's beneficial to most people but I kind of liked it.  I had no problems putting an accurate shot on either bird.  Just something to think about.

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
I shot 2 birds this year using both the FF2 w/ 4moa dot and with the new FF3 w/ 8 moa dot.  Both of them worked very well as I expected.  One thing I noticed about the 8 moa was that if you stretch the distance a bit you can quickly tell.  The dot size is very noticeable at the longer distances.  Both birds were at my longest comfortable shooting distance but with the 8 I knew it immediately.  I don't know if that's beneficial to most people but I kind of liked it.  I had no problems putting an accurate shot on either bird.  Just something to think about.

Interesting and a perspective I've never even thought about.  So, if I'm understanding you correctly, based off the size of the dot in relation to the turkeys head/neck you could more accurately judge his distance?

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline Hayman

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »
Shot my first bird using the FF III with 8 moa dot yesterday morning at 25 yds. It worked great for me never used a dot type sight before I am hooked now I see no problem with the larger dot

Offline wvnut3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
I love my FF2 with the 4moa. This year i shot a Bird with my new FF3 8moa,  and i have to say its now my favorite. Lee :icon_thumright:

BurrisOptics

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »

Interesting and a perspective I've never even thought about.  So, if I'm understanding you correctly, based off the size of the dot in relation to the turkeys head/neck you could more accurately judge his distance?

Yes, sir.  I knew right away that if he got much further away I was SOL.  The dot size really made that obvious.  With that said, I had no problem putting it right where I wanted it and now he's in the freezer. 

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »
I went with the 8, and I really like it!

I just couldn't see going smaller than the 4 on my FF II.

Come on 2013.....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 06:47:03 AM »
. Don't like the idea of obscuring the entire head on a close shot. Not saying the 8 won't do fine; it's just not my cup of tea.

Spur, turn on your ff, pick a target in your house close up.  Now double the distance and resight the same target.  You'll see that the dot remains the same size, but the target shrinks the farther you are away.  It's the far shot that the dot may obscure some of the head, not the close shot.  I've shot a 6.5 MOA Trijicon for at least 7-8 years and there's not much difference between 6.5 and 8.  An 8 MOA on shotgun ranges is no problem.  If I were shooting a rifle at 150-200 yards with an 8 MOA dot it would be.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:44:19 AM by gobblergls »

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
Bought a FF III a couple of weeks ago with the 3 MOA dot. Haven't used it on a turkey yet, but I am loving it at the range. No problems seeing the dot in any light conditions, including looking into the morning sun. Can't see any good reason to go with the 8. Don't like the idea of obscuring the entire head on a close shot. Not saying the 8 won't do fine; it's just not my cup of tea.

Since I don't aim at the head, and have never liked the cover method, the 8 works better for me.  Even my 4 bounces around a little bit, and a 3 would have been even smaller.

In the field, the 8 doesn't cover the head of any of my targets, so I'm not worried about it in the least.

For me, the base of the neck aim is perfect for the 8....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »

Since I don't aim at the head, and have never liked the cover method, the 8 works better for me.  Even my 4 bounces around a little bit, and a 3 would have been even smaller.

In the field, the 8 doesn't cover the head of any of my targets, so I'm not worried about it in the least.

Burris Optics raised a good point which was clarified by Spuriosity.  The 8 MOA has a semi-range finder capacity if one takes into consideration how much of a turkey's neck and head is approximately 4" and the fact that 8 moa at 50 yards covers 4".  If the 8 MOA dot easily fits inside the head, the turkey is probably in range.  If the dot covers 4" of the head and neck, he is approximately 50 yards away. (of course, not all Tom's have the same size head.) I had considered buying a smaller MOA than my current 6.5 MOA Trijicon, but this discussion has firmed my decision on buying a larger MOA than 3 or 4 for my new project gun.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:54:39 AM by gobblergls »

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
I've hunted with a Nikon red dot VSD (variable size dot) scope on both 12 and 10 gauge shotguns for about 8 years.  The red dot can be adjusted for both size (1,4,6,10 MOA) and intensity or brightness.  I usually start out w/ the scope set at 1 MOA then as it becomes lighter and the small dot is harder to see move up to the 4 MOA.  I've hunted under extremely bright conditions, but have never needed to go to either the 6 or 10 MOA.  I will be really interested in hearing the actual field assessment of the larger 8 MOA vs the 3 MOA, especially from folks who have hunted with both.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:20:39 PM by decoykrvr »

Offline Dan Smith

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »
I want to bring this back to the top and get more opinions on the 3 MOA vs the 8 MOA for the FastFire III. If you haven't already stated your opinion, please do so so I can make an educated decision on which path I take.  Thanks!

Dan