OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobble stopper or spend some cash?

Started by rusty4269, December 27, 2014, 04:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty4269

I'm thinking about putting a red dot on my benelli super nova. I'm looking possibly at putting a gobble stopper or similar on it to save some cash and I can do it now. Or maybe I'll wait till spring until i can afford it and get something like a burris fastfire. If I do that I can get the speed bead and not have to drill and tap my gun. Not sure what I want to do. Any opinions?
Jeremiah 29:11

Rem Man

Congrats on the gun!  This is just my opinion and some experience. I have a pile of turkey guns (about 10). I have Burris, Ultradot, and Nikon. I have owned may optics and a bunch of Truglos. I can say the Truglo Red dot for me and a bunch of hunting partners have been BOMB PROOF!!! for the money you can't go wrong, get the truglo and use the rest for a choke, Shells, etc. GOOD LUCK!!!

Snoodsniper

Gobble stopper has helped me kill a few turkeys but its heavy. Take a look at the Bushnell trs25. Its a good optic at a good price. Its also very compact and light weight.

rusty4269

Thanks for the replies. I did look at the trs25. It was on sale at dunhams but I couldn't get the guy to quit stocking shelves long enough to get it out of the counter for me. After standing there for about 15 or 20 mins and listening to all the other customers complaining (rightfully so), I left. I went to a few local gun shops and looked at every red dot they had. Not one trs25. The last place I went had the triton gobble stopper. To make a long story short I bought it. No one knew anything about a top mount for my gun so I came home and ordered it. Went to a local gunsmith to see about getting it drilled and tapped and he's on vacation until Jan 6. Which is ok because that's when my mount is scheduled for delivery. I'm trying to decide if I want to try and tackle that myself. 

Rem Man

Dunhams worst customer service ever!!!!!!

rusty4269

Never had a problem with them until now. Maybe he was having a bad day. It's not up to me to judge but he cost himself a sale.

ericjames

I have been debating tapping my 870 20ga myself. I am gonna order the tap this week. If I do I'm only installing the back mount because I will be using the ff3 and don't need the front mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoodsniper

If it were me I'd leave the drill & tap to the gunsmith. You only get one chance to do it right.

ericjames

Well for me I'm not worried about the gun. I ain't got nothing much in it. Put it this way if I let the gunsmith do it his fee would be what I've got in the gun. I wouldn't recommend the average joe to try to thread a gun reciever. Ive already threaded a marlin 22 mag a few years ago.

rusty4269

Well I took it to a gunsmith. I've never tapped a gun before but I'm usually pretty handy with stuff like that. I can't stand having people do stuff that I can do. I'm weird I guess. But after I took it to the gunsmith and talked to him about it, I would've messed it up. He showed me something I didn't see. Glad I took it to him. Should get it back in a few days. $50 isn't really that expensive compared to messing up my receiver.

ericjames

That's good to hear. I'm the same way but $50 isn't bad our only local gunsmith told me $45/screw.

rusty4269

Well just git my gun back from the gunsmith and the base mount is on. I installed my red dot and in the process broke one of the mounting screws. I'm well known for over tightening. Has this happened to anyone else? I emailed TruGlo and now I'm waiting for a reply. Jeesh what luck, I was planning on sighting it in and patterning my gun Saturday.