Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anybody use walker game ears or any hearing aids turkey hunting?

Started by Turkeyslayer 101, February 22, 2012, 09:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyslayer 101

Be sharp but don't cut yourself!

BOFF

I use the Walker's game ears, and had my ears fitted for the pieces which go in my ear, instead of the foam earplugs. Much like my grandmother's old hearing aids.  :toothy12:

I'm loosing my hearing, and if the gun goes off without protection, my ears ring for weeks.

As much as I would give to shoot a turkey, I wouldn't shoot one if I didn't have some type of protection in my ears if shooting a gun.

God Bless,
David B.

Squirrel Hunter

Got my Dad some power muffs last season first time he heard a gobble in a long time . Not to good in wind or rain.

ThicketThrasher

I got the Power Muff Quads for this year. I'm not sure if I will like them or not but I have trouble hearing and I figure it can't hurt. I've been testing them in the woods and I can hear alot more critters than ever before. Not sure if they will help or hurt with directionality.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

CASH

HuH???  YOu say something?

I use the Power Muffs also.  Have to.  My hearing is shot.  I really need hearing aids.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Ol'Mossy

I use the Miracle Ear hearing aids in both ears and I wouldn't go into the woods with out them

I've been wearing them for 5 years now, and i'll tell you another thing my success

rate in killing turkeys rose quite significantly, you have to hear them to hunt them

And yes they do muffle the shotgun blast

ctwny1

I have and use Walker Game ear. I've found the best way to use this is to keep the volume low on the Game Ear so your you can pinpoint direction if your like me having only 1 Game Ear. It does increase your hearing. But keep the volume low.

joey46

Like so many right hand shooters my left ear is shot.  I originally placed my Game Ear in the left ear and a foam plug in my right.  Worked okay but when I started to reverse this process things really improved.  I now try and totally lock out the bad ear.  Still have a 45 degree directional problem but I know to allow for it.  If I hear leaves crunching at 2 o'clock I know to look at 11 0r 12 o'clock.  There he is. 

HoggleGobble

Quote from: joey46 on February 23, 2012, 06:56:26 AM
Like so many right hand shooters my left ear is shot.  I originally placed my Game Ear in the left ear and a foam plug in my right.  Worked okay but when I started to reverse this process things really improved.  I now try and totally lock out the bad ear.  Still have a 45 degree directional problem but I know to allow for it.  If I hear leaves crunching at 2 o'clock I know to look at 11 0r 12 o'clock.  There he is. 

I'm debating on doing this.... My left ear is still ringing from shooting at an elk this past November. My right ear is fine, but I don't want it to get hurt as well. Thinking of nothing in my right ear and a Walkers Game Ear IV in my left.... I need to be able to tell where a turkey is gobbling... Don't want to walk around like a blind mouse in the woods.... What do you advise?

hoyt

I used the Walker Game Ear 2 for about 10yrs. But don't use anything anymore. Got to where they would only last about 1-1/2 seasons. Got about 5 around here that don't work. I use to send them in for a rebuild, but they weren't up to par when I got them back.

Other than not holding up, (I need to say that I used them for deer and turkey hunting and hunt almost every day so I really put the use to them) they do work good except for being able to tell which direction the sound is coming from. I used one in each ear for a couple of yrs., but still had directional problems. As has been posted turning them down low is the best way. Also I would turn them down all the way to start off in the mornings and listen for a cardinal to start up and pick out the direction, then turn the Walkers on to get direction oriented.

I can't hear high frequency sounds and don't hear birds chirp when in the woods unless using a Walkers, but have found that I can hear a gobble without them if not real far off. Also my ears ring 24hrs a day and have for over 30yrs. so that doesn't help either.

FireFly908

I got the Power Muff Quads last year!  The do pick up the sound a lot better, BUT I'm finding directionality a big problem!  Once I hear something, I'll slip them off of my ears long enough to pick up direction so I don't think it is a problem.