OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new gun and new to this site

Started by truedouble, February 21, 2012, 10:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truedouble

I just bought a Remington 870 super mag 3 1/2" and it came with a Truglo red dot scope.  I wasn't in the market for a red dot scope but Remington  turkey guns come with either the red dot scope or the rifle sights and the store didn't have the rifle sights.  After speaking with several people I decided to buy it.  Instead of doing a lot of research prior to the buy I did it after.  I have not shot the gun yet and have contacted the store to see if they can find the same gun with rifle sights (Remington is out of stock) but haven't heard back.

Long story short I am looking for advice on what to do.  I feel like rifle sights with a tapped receiver (in case I ever decide to get a red dot) would be the best bet but a few questions.

1. with my current gun could I add some type of rifle sights (fiber optic with a rear and front) considering it doesn't have a vent rib in the even that I can't or decide not to trade guns.
2. Thoughts on fiber optic type sights- have heard that when a bird is at 40+ yds the optic, due to it's size covers up too much of the target, so is this something I would ever want of some type of red dot sight?
3. how susceptible are the red dot scopes to getting nocked off while hunting?  I don't plan on throwing my gun but crawling, running, etc. are common.
4. Any other advice or thought?

thanks.  I've read through some other topics and have read a lot and learned a lot.

Passintime

I never been a fan of red dots. A lot of people wouldn't have anything else. It's all in how you want to set it up. I personally went the the Williams fire sight on mine. It goes on the rib of your gun and it's very secure.