OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What brand of red dot

Started by woodwzrd, February 20, 2012, 09:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodwzrd

I am going to pull the pin and get a red dot for my mossy 535. I was wondering what you guys recommend and what to stay away from. I am not looking to get the best or fanciest out there or spend a ton of money. I just want something that will get the job done. Thanks for all your input.

eaglea1

chatterbox

Alot depends on your finances and what you are looking for.
If you want a tube style red dot, Bushnell Trophy is tops. Can be had for around 100.00 or less.
Open style reflex sights by Mueller can be had for the same price, and offer 4 different reticles.
Tops in the reflex style for around 200.00 are the Burris Fast Fire 2. Very well built, rugged sight. Much smaller than the other 2.
If you can wait, the best new red dot is the Burris Fast Fire 3. Alot of the minor issues with the FFII were addressed with the 3. No more locking screws, battery on top, and click windage and elevation ajustments. and the dot is offered in 3 and 8 MOA.

cannonball

Quote from: chatterbox on February 20, 2012, 04:51:51 PM
Alot depends on your finances and what you are looking for.
If you want a tube style red dot, Bushnell Trophy is tops. Can be had for around 100.00 or less.
Open style reflex sights by Mueller can be had for the same price, and offer 4 different reticles.
Tops in the reflex style for around 200.00 are the Burris Fast Fire 2. Very well built, rugged sight. Much smaller than the other 2.
If you can wait, the best new red dot is the Burris Fast Fire 3. Alot of the minor issues with the FFII were addressed with the 3. No more locking screws, battery on top, and click windage and elevation ajustments. and the dot is offered in 3 and 8 MOA.

Great advice! :agreed:

nyhunter

Great advice from chatterbox.   I have a Burris speed bead " my favorite" and a Nikon VSD, which is a very close second. Both are on turkey gun and have done great holding up to the recoil of the 3.5" mag shells.

bunk

I have used the Bushnell red and green dot for the last 3 seasons and it's held up to the 31/2s. I really like it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. They can be had for $100 and have a lifetime warranty. They have 4 reticals to choose from and I really like the circle dot. I would like to try a Burris Fast Fire some day. I like the small size of them and they seem to be good quality but for the money I'm happy with what I got. Good luck with whatever you choose. I made the switch to a red dot and I don't see myself going back to a beed sight.

Devastator

if ya have the money,aimpoint.

deadbuck

Woodwzrd.
I have one of the Bushnell red dots mentioned above that I got for xmas and am not using. I mounted it briefly on an encore pistol and then sold the pistol.  Will take $85 shipped to you if you want it. I can send pics.

woodwzrd

Quote from: deadbuck on February 21, 2012, 03:09:45 PM
Woodwzrd.
I have one of the Bushnell red dots mentioned above that I got for xmas and am not using. I mounted it briefly on an encore pistol and then sold the pistol.  Will take $85 shipped to you if you want it. I can send pics.

Thanks for the offer. I actually just ordered one this morning.

Crappiepro

I have the Mueller Quick Shot on my 835 Ulti-Mag. I like it. I posted a thread about the mueller. "Mueller Season Review" after what everyone said I got me one.

deadbuck

Woodwzrd:

I was impressed with the Bushnell red dot. It shot 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards on a 22-250 encore pistol. And, it comes with rings that will fit a weaver style base.