OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Killing Henbit In Clover?  (Read 9408 times)

Offline EasternNChunter

Killing Henbit In Clover?
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
I have a nice thick 2 acre clover plot but Henbit is starting to grow rapidly.  It is growing over the clover and doesn't seem to be hurting the clover right now.  Regardless, I am looking for a herbicide that will kill the Henbit and not the clover.

Offline strutter

Re: Killing Henbit In Clover?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:02:12 AM »
Whitetail Institute makes a product called Slay that controls broadleaf weeds and is safe for clover. Check out there website and read the ingredients on Slay as you may be able to find another brand that has same for less money also it recomends you use a crop oil to increase it's affects.

Offline jasperjet

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:05:15 AM »
yes, the chemical is sethoxydim. Poast, arrest I think are the same ...about 150 a gallon but it dont take much.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
yes, the chemical is sethoxydim. Poast, arrest I think are the same ...about 150 a gallon but it dont take much.

Sethoxydim is a grassy weed herbicide. Henbit is a broadleaf. I dont think it will help you.
Slay is Imazethapyre and will work. Use the mid rate as the high rate my hurt your clover. I would use a surfactant also. Do a follow up spot treatment in 2 or 3 weeks.

John
A less expensive alternative to Slay for general broadleaf control in clover is 2,4-DB, sold as Butyrac 200.  WARNING: 2,4-DB is not the same as 2,4-D. DO NOT use 2,4-D on your clover as it will kill it. Unfortunately 2,4-DB (Butyrac 200) is not effective on henbit.

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
 Around here that stuff is thick in the early spring but usually dies out by early summer.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
Around here that stuff is thick in the early spring but usually dies out by early summer.

That is the case everywhere. Henbit is a winter annual that dies during hot weather.