OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weatherby PA-459 choke

Started by jb1069, July 05, 2017, 08:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb1069

I picked up a new turkey gun this weekend and hoping to get some input from you guys. It is the PA-459. My next step is getting a good choke tube and shell combination for it. I realize it will take trying some different ones through it but trying to get good information on what has worked for other guys that have bought this gun. The one I bought is more the home defense version so I think the choke that came with it is more open than what I am looking for a turkey pattern. Also, has anyone done anything else to the barrel to improve patterns. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jb1069

SumToy

big thing is what shell you want to run.  660 is a good place to start.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jb1069

Sumtoy,
            What shells do you recommend? Normally my shots are 20 to 30 yard range but would like the confidence in the gun to reach out to 40 with no problem. Do you know the thread pattern on this gun or can you let me know how to determine which one it is? Thanks

SumToy

Quote from: jb1069 on July 05, 2017, 10:08:32 AM
Sumtoy,
            What shells do you recommend? Normally my shots are 20 to 30 yard range but would like the confidence in the gun to reach out to 40 with no problem. Do you know the thread pattern on this gun or can you let me know how to determine which one it is? Thanks

about anything will work out the 12ga.   The Winchester Long Beard does good for lead.  The HV13 will work for HTL.  Nitro is into the aftermarket shells.   

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

QuoteDo you know the thread pattern on this gun or can you let me know how to determine which one it is? Thanks

If the thread are on top of the choke, near the muzzle, it's a Mobil-Choke, if at the bottom of the choke, it's a Win-Choke.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

FL-Boss

Weatherby's seems to like just about any choke you throw in it. You can't go wrong with any of the recommendations.  I personally use Carlson's in all my Weatherby shotguns -  extended non-ported.  I personally like a more open choke for real world hunting .670-.680, but that's a different conversation.
The carlsons are cheap on ebay.
HEVI #7 always works great in these guns.  Also, don't overlook the factory turkey choke... they are pretty good.

jb1069

Thanks guys for all the information!