OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tools ?

Started by 2Barrel, February 17, 2012, 04:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Barrel

Hi all. Like I said in a previous post I was going to get a new lathe. Well, thats on the way. Now I have a question on what chisels should I get for turning pots ? Hope sombody can help. Im real new to this.

cleanslate

You can use a carbide tipped turning tool for shaping the outside, Sanatorium on here makes them for a considerable amount  less than the stores charge, & they're great tools too. As for making the inside of the pots with the pedestal and the ledge for the playing surface I just use a parting tool.

Basser69

I bought a set of the carbide tools about 2 weeks ago and I am having to relearn how you turn wood. While I do love the ease of use, I think that everyone should know how steel tools turn.

Cut*N*Run

You'll do fine with the 8 tool HSS set from harbor freight.

CallMaker

A good set of HSS tools will get you started. I use Pinnacle Cryogenic Miniature tools most of the time. You can get a 5 piece set for about $100 - $120 bucks.   They hold and edge longer than regular HSS  tools.   It depends on how much money you want to spend.  No matter what kind of tool you buy, make sure you have a sharpener.  Lathe tools have to be sharp to do good work.  A dull tool not only will ruin a piece of wood but can be dangerous!
Steven

2Barrel

Thanks guys. Just ordered a set from PSI. I also just bought a bench grinder and drill press. I know I should use a white wheel on the grinder for sharpening but what grit is best ? Also. When sharpening, do you guys use some sort of jig or do you just do it freehand ?

Basser69

I bought a jig at woodcraft for about 80 bucks and cannot for the life of me remember who made it