OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mallards Only

I dug up this old thread because I'm considering polishing the chamber of a barrel on a new gun and wanted to refresh my memory on the polishing process.  I see that others have also had similar questions as to why not polish the chamber.  I realize polishing the chamber won't affect my patterns.  But, on this new gun, shells just aren't feeding into the chamber as smoothly as they should and are sometimes sticking in the chamber after firing.  My thought was to try a little polishing to see if I can get them to feed better.  Is there any danger in doing this?

Tally Turkey

I have seen that some people polish the stevens 301 barrel. I bought one and plan to use it this year. Original post says NOT to polish chrome lined barrel. Savage website says stevens 301 barrel is Chrome Alloy Steel. Is this chrome-lined and is it still safe to polish?

I also have an old Mossberg 835 that I inherited from my grandfather. It's probably an 80s or 90s model. The pattern is pretty open on it with an IC .685 - wondering if I should polish it but not sure if it's chrome-lined, and if it is, if that's an issue.

Thank you in advance for the help.

bbcoach

Tally, The 835 is not chrome lined.  I've hunted an 835 since the early 90's and will continue with it.  I have plenty of the old 3 1/2 inch Hevi-13 #7's and a .670 Pure Gold choke in her and she is devastating (300 plus at 40).  When I started with this gun, I polished it for 15 to 30 minutes initially and normally give it a few minutes each spring before the season to keep it clean and smooth.  If you want a tighter pattern the mossy's (835 and 935's) like a choke in the .670 to .676 range.  Polishing and deep cleaning will help your numbers by about 10 to 15%.

Can't help with the Stevens since I don't own one. 

Tally Turkey

Thanks for the info BBCoach. I will plan to polish my 835 as outlined in the original post. It will be my 12 gauge turkey gun for the foreseeable future.

Longshanks

Have a brand new Carlsons chrome lined barrel for my Rem870. Shot it around 10 times and had some respectable patterns cleaning it with a Tico tool. Looked back into what my buddy Clark Bush told me about deep cleaning a chrome lined barrel. Did so and a tremendous amount of junk came out of the barrel. It will light them up now generating some patterns. RIP Clark we appreciate all you did for us. Thanks