OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: polishing your Barrel updated pics.  (Read 235562 times)

Offline strum

Re: polishing your Barrel updated pics.
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
Im finding all kinds of info on polishing shotgun chambers but you guys are saying "Not" to do it.
I certainly get the reason to polish the barrel and Ive done it a few times.
 Can yall explain the pros and cons of polishing the chamber?

Offline Passport

Re: polishing your Barrel
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »
wondering why it's not recommended to polish chamber. i like idea of using the shell.
if you polish a chamber you are taking the chance of making it to slick for the shell. causing it not to hold when you fire the gun.

Can you expound on this? How can the chamber be "too slick"? The shell is held in place by the bolt and locked via lug, seems to me that a slick chamber will add in ejection if nothing else.
But tell me how wont hold when I fire the gun?

Offline Antleraddict62

« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2020, 05:54:47 AM »
If I wanted to polish a 410 barrel  what’s size brush is recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TX_Gobbler

« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2020, 06:55:23 PM »
I want to do this, but a bit apprehensive that I’ll mess something up beyond fixing!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2020, 07:49:23 PM »
I want to do this, but a bit apprehensive that I’ll mess something up beyond fixing!
Slow drill motor, green scotch brite, some Kroil, 15 minutes and voila.  It's intimidating at first but it is simple once you do it once.  It takes very, very little metal out, it deep cleans, buffs and polishes the inside of the barrel.  I actually use this same technique in my 50 cal muzzleloader.  Cleans the gunk out and makes it sooooooo much easier to load and clean afterwards.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2020, 07:52:49 PM »
If I wanted to polish a 410 barrel  what’s size brush is recommended?

I've never done a 410 but a 22 caliber brush and one wrap of scotch brite should do the trick.

Offline TX_Gobbler

« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »
Slow drill motor, green scotch brite, some Kroil, 15 minutes and voila.  It's intimidating at first but it is simple once you do it once.  It takes very, very little metal out, it deep cleans, buffs and polishes the inside of the barrel.  I actually use this same technique in my 50 cal muzzleloader.  Cleans the gunk out and makes it sooooooo much easier to load and clean afterwards.

Okay!  You’re giving me the confidence I need to try it - thanks!

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2021, 05:51:29 PM »
Can't wait to see if it helped the 410

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2021, 10:18:47 AM »
Im finding all kinds of info on polishing shotgun chambers but you guys are saying "Not" to do it.

I used to use this polishing technique when I shot lead years ago. I found that it just simply didn't affect the pattern with TSS much. I bit the bullet and bought the flex hone kit. It takes the guessing out. I have the barrel hone, chamber hone, and forcing cone hone. I use them all. Good videos out there explain the use of it. I use the cutting oil it comes with. IMHO it does a better job than the other method ever did. Kind of pricey to buy the kit. I did see a pattern increase once honing my barrel vs the polishing technique described on this page. When I used to shoot lead the polishing technique really worked but it didn't have the same effect when I started using TSS. I don't know why...I just get better results with the honing kit.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline VAHUNTER

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Perfection ProStaff
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2022, 10:35:26 AM »
as you can see i use a spent hull with the primer drilled out so my cleaning rod fits through it.  the hull will protect the chamber from being polished. really no need to polish the chamber other than to clean it up. the barrel and choke system is what makes your pattern.
i have polished the same barrel 4 or 5 times. each time my pellet count has increased. not only does it show higher numbers but there is less holes in and out of the 10" circle. less holes equals less of a chance of missing a vital shot.
Good things come to those who wait

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2022, 07:28:59 PM »
What do you attach the scotch brite pad to?

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2022, 12:44:43 PM »
I just got a PM tip from VAHUNTER. He suggested going right to Brownell's to get my Bore clean and Kroil as a package, I picked up those two and Bore Bright for $50 delivered ($11 for shipping). Amazon has free shipment, but each item is about double the price. I figured I saved about $20 on the three together. Thanks again VAHUNTER.
Ches.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2022, 07:06:12 PM »
Just got my 870 done today. Just like VAHUNTER said, I thought barrel was clean but all kings of crud came out. The bore shines like a mirror. Only 25 days till my season. I should be set.

Offline zkowasz

« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2022, 08:51:40 PM »

I used to use this polishing technique when I shot lead years ago. I found that it just simply didn't affect the pattern with TSS much. I bit the bullet and bought the flex hone kit. It takes the guessing out. I have the barrel hone, chamber hone, and forcing cone hone. I use them all. Good videos out there explain the use of it. I use the cutting oil it comes with. IMHO it does a better job than the other method ever did. Kind of pricey to buy the kit. I did see a pattern increase once honing my barrel vs the polishing technique described on this page. When I used to shoot lead the polishing technique really worked but it didn't have the same effect when I started using TSS. I don't know why...I just get better results with the honing kit.
What grit flex hone are you using? Does the bore hone clean up the forcing cone at all? Or is a forcing cone hone a must? My mossberg 500 20ga. Looks pretty rough in the forcing cone area with the rest of the bore being pretty decent.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »
What do you attach the scotch brite pad to?

For a 12 ga, you use a 20 ga brass wire brush. You wind the scotch brite on counter clockwise. I tied both ends of the scotch brite with 30 lb power pro. Not sure I had too but it worked. I also marked my rod so I didn't poke out the end of the barrel.