OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

I bought the scotch pads today but I couldn't find either one of those brands of cleaners I bought some stuff at bass pro gonna try it when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

MikeStaten

I used JB's bore paste for the initial run and Flitz for the final polishing.  The bore is slick and extremely shiny now. 

7magmike

mwr

Quote from: lock1nout on February 28, 2013, 08:42:59 PM
I can't import Kroil into Canada. What are my options?
I used WD-40...worked good.........

Byhalia

All of this is awesome advice !!   Thanks to all.    :thanks:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

Skeeterbait

For those using other products besides J-B and Kroil, be aware of a few things.

Kroil is a creeping oil.  In other words it is really good at wicking and penetrating as well as lubricating.  it will loosen and remove plastic deposits, powder, molly, copper, and lead smears, etc. better than most other products. 

J-B Bore Compound and Bore Bright is non-embedding, meaning it will not attach itself to the pores or the barrel metal and leave a film.  Other metal polishes such as Flitz tell you they leave a "protective finish" or "prohibit corrosion".  This means you can't wipe it all out of the barrel.  My personal experience with a gun I used Flitz on and then swabbed the barrel out with solvent was that there was still a film left in the barrel.    My first shot I had a reduction in pattern of 40 shot from what the gun characteristically performed after it's cleaning and polishing.  The film shot out of the barrel and the pattern improved with each subsequent shot until it once again performed as I expected, but it took 7 shells to get back to where it was before.  This has never happened with J-B products.

If you want to use the products that have proven successful in this process, plan ahead and order them.  They can be ordered from www.brownells.com .  In fact the two products can be ordered together as a kit. because this is a commonly used combo by shotgunners as well as benchrest rifle shooters.

8upbowhunter

I ordered everything to do my 870 SM back on February 17th and have everything in except the J&B bore cleaner that has been on back order since that time. The season is just around the corner here so I guess I won't be polishing my barrel until after this season. :( :(

Skeeterbait

There are two products, J-B bore compound and J-B bore bright.  The compound is on backorder but the bright is in stock.  It works just like the compound but is finer.  My experience it works better, just takes a bit more time.  They are meant to be used back to back the first time, but the bright will work by itself.

8upbowhunter

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 18, 2014, 08:47:39 AM
There are two products, J-B bore compound and J-B bore bright.  The compound is on backorder but the bright is in stock.  It works just like the compound but is finer.  My experience it works better, just takes a bit more time.  They are meant to be used back to back the first time, but the bright will work by itself.

Thanks I may give that a shot, it certainly can't hurt anything and I can always do it with the compound the next time it needs a polishing.

8upbowhunter

Well I decided to take Skeeterbait's advice and polish my 870 SM barrel using only J-B bore brite since Brownells has been out of stock on the bore cleaner. First off this is a virtually new barrel that has only about 12 rounds or so through it and I passed a bore snake between each shot so I figured it couldn't be that dirty to begin with. Looking at my barrel before I started there were very few minor tool marks so maybe I got a good one from the factory. I decided to do it a total of 300 passes (back & forth as 1 pass) before checking it. Well after 200 passes I just had to peek after cleaning it and man what a surprise!! It had a mirror finish but looked like I could maybe get it a little better so I made another 100 passes. WOW now that is a beautiful sight I thought to myself when I cleaned it up and looked at it in the daylight. Thanks VAHUNTER and Skeeterbait. Now just to find the time to go pattern it again and see if that improved my numbers.

taylorjones20

I got all the supplies in today from Brownells to polish my 870 SM barrel.  I had to order a few of the 1/4 ounce packages of the compound cleaner because the 2 ounce has been on back order for a while.  Anyway, I was quite impressed with the way it looks after polishing.  Thanks for this thread and to all that have attributed.  When using the original recommended equipment for this job, it works great and the rewards are great as well. 

Thanks Again!!!!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

mtsrunner

I was at the pre-opening of the Cabelas in Greenville, SC today and they had the 2 oz jars of J-B bore compound.

Twowithone

Brownells has the stuff but not the kit. I just ordered the stuff and some 20 guage brushes and it will be here on Monday. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Birdyblaster

I just finished polishing the barrel on my new 870 SPS.  The barrel actually looked pretty decent from the factory but after following the process in this thread it looks incredible.  It is every bit as shiny as my chrome-lined Beretta barrel.  You can tell just running patches down it now that it is much smoother.  Now to get it out to the pattern board as soon as the weather improves.

Balla1982

When doing a deep clean on a Benelli barrel, how does one need to proceed?  I read that you do not need to perform the polishing process on a chrome lined barrel, so I'm just wanting to get the best and most effective pattern from my Nova.