OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: polishing your Barrel updated pics.  (Read 234752 times)

Offline EMSDJ2

Re: polishing your Barrel
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 09:06:09 AM »
I was just wondering how often a guy has to polish a barrel?

Offline VAHUNTER

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Perfection ProStaff
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »
it really depends on how much you shoot. if you just check your pattern and hunt it could last up to 2 or 3 years.
Good things come to those who wait

Offline EMSDJ2

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
it really depends on how much you shoot. if you just check your pattern and hunt it could last up to 2 or 3 years.

OK thanks

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
I have noticed that the inside of the barrel in my 870 20 gauge doesn't appear smooth, but instead looks sort of wavy when you look through it. I wonder what effect this has on pattering and if polishing will help smooth it out.

Any ideas?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline timbrhuntr

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
Thanks for the re-post.  :icon_thumright:

Offline VAHUNTER

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Perfection ProStaff
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »
I have noticed that the inside of the barrel in my 870 20 gauge doesn't appear smooth, but instead looks sort of wavy when you look through it. I wonder what effect this has on pattering and if polishing will help smooth it out.

Any ideas?

FC
polishing it might not take it all out but it will help. it would also help your patterns. what you are probably seeing is tool marks.

Offline agturkey

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Give more than you take!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
They are out of Kroil oil....but stuff ordered to do mine again...

Can you explain in more detail what the 20ga shell is used for?

Offline VAHUNTER

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Perfection ProStaff
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
They are out of Kroil oil....but stuff ordered to do mine again...

Can you explain in more detail what the 20ga shell is used for?
you insert the 20ga. hull so that the brass is out. you should see 12ga. brass on one end and the 20ga.brass on the other. the 20ga. brass will work as a stop for your brush. so you do not pull the brush and scotch brite into the 12ga. hull . it also will help as a guide for the rod.

the best price i have found for Kroil www.kanolabs.com(phone) 615-833-4101 they will never be out of stock

Offline Turkey Terror

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
A few weeks ago I used a cleaning rod and put that into the drill; and put on a 16 gauge brush and wrapped 0000 steel wool around it. I soaked it in Hoppes 9 solvent. I did the inside of my 1969 Ithaca 16 gauge featherlight deer slayer barrel. I got every last piece of lead out of that barrel. It took me over 45 minutes but it was worth it.

Before patterning my 11-87 for turkey hunting, should I do the same thing that I did in my Ithaca 16 gauge barrel except with a 12 gauge brush? Or should I do something different? The barrel has some plastic buildup from wads and it probably has a little lead buildup.

Thanks in advance
Colton

Offline VAHUNTER

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Perfection ProStaff
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
Turkey Terror
it would surprise me if it had any lead build up. most of the loads today have a pretty good wad to protect the barrel. for Wad build up you can use shooters choice or Butches and it will clear it out quick. i do not use steel wool on any of my barrels (some do but i don't) so i would not recommend that to you. i would recommend that you use J&B and KROIL and polish your barrel using scotch brite or a cotton patch.

Offline pullit

• Double Beard
  • Middle/West TN
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 07:57:58 AM »
Turkey Terror
 i do not use steel wool on any of my barrels (some do but i don't) so i would not recommend that to you. i would recommend that you use J&B and KROIL and polish your barrel using scotch brite or a cotton patch.

+1

Offline ILIKEHEVI-13

• Limbhanger
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
Turkey Terror
 i do not use steel wool on any of my barrels (some do but i don't) so i would not recommend that to you. i would recommend that you use J&B and KROIL and polish your barrel using scotch brite or a cotton patch.

+1

+2

Offline goblr77

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
I'm gonna try it this weekend. Have an 835 and a 20ga 500.

Offline njdevilsb

• Double Beard
  • New York
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
I'm ordering the stuff to do it today.  Big thanks to VAHUNTER for answering all of my questions.  I may have a few more once I get the stuff.

Offline Turkey Terror

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
Turkey Terror
it would surprise me if it had any lead build up. most of the loads today have a pretty good wad to protect the barrel. for Wad build up you can use shooters choice or Butches and it will clear it out quick. i do not use steel wool on any of my barrels (some do but i don't) so i would not recommend that to you. i would recommend that you use J&B and KROIL and polish your barrel using scotch brite or a cotton patch.

Shooters Choice solvent? And how do I go about putting that on the inside of my barrel? Soak a 12 g brush in it and use a cleaning rod in a drill? Or something different?

Thanks
Colton