OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wood Lathe Collet Systems

Started by Austy, February 14, 2012, 09:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austy

I was wondering if anyone on here has any hands on experience with either the PSI or Beall wood lathe collet systems and if so which of the two they prefer??The beall system is more expensive than the PSI for the same number of collets but has more collets sizes available than the PSI system which only has 5 collet sizes available.  Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

Lonehowl

I have a couple Beals. They are great. I will tell you that the nut on the Beal is smooth, and the PSI I believe is knurled. At some point you will probly touch your knuckles to that part of the chuck, and the knurling on the PSI will keep some of your skin. The Beal not so much. Ya gotta be careful, but everyone does it at some point. Not trying to steer you one way or the other, just a tiny comparison point.
Mark
edit: you can order almost any size collet you may need from many places. Mcmaster Carr, MSC..etc. They are just ER-32 collets, run about 19 bucks each anywhere.
Mark

Austy

I did notice that when I was looking at the difference between the 2 systems.  Good point, thanks.

Cut*N*Run

I have the psi set and I really like it. My knuckles are way more scared of my 4 jaw chuck  ;D

C_W

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on February 14, 2012, 09:27:15 PM
I have the psi set and I really like it. My knuckles are way more scared of my 4 jaw chuck  ;D

I agree!!