turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pile of future pot calls

Started by sodfather, February 20, 2011, 09:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodfather

Was cutting wood over at my dads place and took a couple of pieces to try my hand at making my first pot. Well I am going to try and figure it out but does anyone have any tips for a newbie flat out how do I do this. Thanks.

Stoner

That is some nice wood. I think you will have enough wood to last a little while.

Crutch

Helpful info would be

Google=How to make spalted wood.
I would get some pentacryl asap to stabilize some so I could start working it sooner.
A table top lathe would be handy but a plate and also a self centering chuck.

Other than that, I'm not qualified to answer this much futher.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

selinoid44

Sweet! Nice job Gitzit. I do mine a little different, but basically with the same result.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

sodfather

Thanks guys I am really going in to this blind so I'm just going to screw around. If I screw a couple up oh well I have more wood.

Cut*N*Run

Dive into as many tutorials as you can on here and on you tube. Even if they're not tutorials on pot calls, they'll help. You'll be surprised what you can learn by watching someone turn a bowl or pen.

Also, think safety first.

smurf

One of our best callmakers on here doesn't even use a lathe. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

bamagobblergetter

man thats some beautiful wood your workin with...

sodfather

I was just going to use a router and hollow it out, I dont have a lathe so I dont see any other way.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

harvester

Basser69

Quote from: Gitzit69 on February 23, 2011, 02:11:14 PM
Quote from: Gitzit69 on February 20, 2011, 10:23:43 PM
My first 2 pots were made using a drill press and hole saws. (No FUN)

Here's a pic of one of my first 2 callers. I used a drill press and a router attachment on a Dremel. Man I wish I hadn't sold this call.

That call is amazing!

TarheelTurk

Quote from: Gitzit69 on February 20, 2011, 09:28:17 PM

Gitzit, thanks for the info. I was wondering where you got the screw chuck from. I recently purchased an older but well taken care of Craftsmen lathe and would like to purchase one. My lathe has a #1 MT, also what diameter is it ? Thanks for sharing your process with us newbies!!  :thanks:
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

TarheelTurk

Quote from: Gitzit69 on February 26, 2011, 02:06:28 AM
Craftsman only makes the screw center chuck for the MT1 taper. Here's a link:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925359000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00925359000P

:thanks: GITZIT , i ordered one for my lathe this afternoon. I want to thank you again for the info on your process and on the screw center. My lathe is a MT 1 i would have loved a MT 2 but the guy put a good price on the lathe along with three new turning tools so i had to get it.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

TarheelTurk

Quote from: sodfather on February 20, 2011, 09:18:53 PM
Was cutting wood over at my dads place and took a couple of pieces to try my hand at making my first pot. Well I am going to try and figure it out but does anyone have any tips for a newbie flat out how do I do this. Thanks.

sodfather, im also just starting pot call making so I've been taking a few pieces out of different log piles and rescuing them from wood stoves also lately.