OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hickory???

Started by harvester, February 20, 2011, 06:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

Is Hickory not a very good wood to make calls out of?
I don't make calls and I have never seen any made out of hickory and was wondering.
Thanks.

Bonjour

Hickory does make a great call. Very hard wood and makes one of the best strikers.
      Ryan

M,Yingling

I like to make calls from it ,made a good many .. Pretty hard wood ,,

Mike
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

harvester

It makes some real nice calls, why don't people offer it more than they do? Is it too hard to work with?

M,Yingling

Couldnt help on why others dont use it ,, maybe not fancy enough for them ,,,, it turns nice sand nice takes finish well
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Stoner

Hickory does make a very nice calls and is one of my favorite wood for strikers. Hickory is easy to turn.

Roostem33

I really like using it, it turns great to me!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

lightsoutcalls

Most hickory has a rather bland appearance.  As shown in the pics above, there are exceptions to that rule.  My guess on why you don't see it more for calls is due to the general vanilla appearance.  When a guy finds some with character, it does make a good looking and sounding call.  As mentioned, it makes a great striker. 
Pecan is very similar in appearance and density to hickory.  I hope to be making up a couple of pecan calls soon with some character.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

smurf

As far as hardness.....It is hard but the harder the wooder the easier it is to turn.  I've made a lot of duck calls from it and a couple of pots and like they said it makes great strikers. 
:z-paddy-smiley113:
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

CallMaker

Hickory makes a great slate/ glass call. I've made a few. It turns well but can be a little hard on the tools. I usually have to sharpen them after turning.
Steven