OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help me pick a lathe.

Started by 2Barrel, February 07, 2012, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Barrel

Well I finally got my lathe a few days ago. Wound up with a Delta 46-460. But what a nighmare it was. First lathe that came in was the Delta 46-450. Looked at the box and looked like a forklift driver drove both forks into the box. Sure enough when I opened the box the switch and the belt cover was smashed. So I call Amazon to get another and there out of them. 4 month wait. But they had the 46-460 so I went for it. About 5 days later it came and this too had holes in the box from a forklift. Opened the box and the cast iron foot on the lathe was snapped clean off. Now Im mad. Called Amazon again and they asked me if I wanted to replace this one. At first I said no but considering the deal they were giving me with the free shipping I gave them one more chance, but I told them I didnt want it unless they could have it at my door the next day. The next day came and it was at my door. Cant believe they flew it too me. Wonder how much that cost ? Well, Looked at the box and sure enough there was a set of holes in it from a forklift. Opened it up and luck has it not one scratch. Whew. I dont know what side was doing the damage. The Amazon warehouse guys or the people at U.P.S. but sombody seems a little angry. I turned a couple pots and strikers with it and seems like a sweet little lathe. Ill post some pics of the pots soon.

bcc2011

Yea I read alot of problems guys had with getting tools shipped from amazon. I know see why they have free shipping on alot of things.
Brother Custom Calls

herronjr

guys i live in south carolina and a buddy of mine bought his lathe from sears they have a jet, and two other brands to choose from. i was at the store last week and the lathe look well made not cheap looking price was 400 and up.

Basser69

Woodcraft had the rikon at $ 269 right now. If I needed another one, I would be all over it

Nolehoe

I have the delta midi and it has always served me well, but it seems to me that I recall that the nova midi was the cadillac when I was "in the market"

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

eaglea1

Quote from: DeWayne Knight on February 16, 2012, 12:05:10 PM
Anyone have experience with or like the Jet wood lathes?  I like the variable speed feature within the belt ranges.  I'm leaning in the direction of the Jet unless someone tells me a reason that Delta 46-460 is superior.
I don't know what model Jet you are thinking of, but to compare it to a 46-460 which is a 1 hp. then a Jet 1 hp would be around $1200. vs. $ 700. for the Delta.. IMO