turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me pick a lathe.

Started by 2Barrel, February 07, 2012, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Barrel

Hi all. Been on this site quite a while and thought it was about time to make a post. Ive been a turkey hunter for a LOOOOONG time and truly love it. Sheesh, come to think of it, its been a little over 30 years. About 5 years ago I started collecting custom turkey calls. Turned into an addiction LOL. Well, now I would like to give turning pot calls a try. Ive been looking at many lathes and think Ive found two that I like. The first one is the Delta 46-455. http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Industrial-46-455-2-Inch-5-Speed/dp/B0038SYGPQ
The second one is the Rikon 70-100. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FB74YM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
They both seem to get good reviews and are the same price. "Delta giving 50$ mail in rebate"  What lathe would you guys choose and why ?

handcannon

Both are some good, reliable lathes. Myself, I plan on going with the Delta 46-460 to be my next lathe soon. It's the same lathe you listed but it has an added feature of reverse. When you turn and sand a call, the wood fibers lay in one direction. This lets you sand in both directions. People have been building calls like this for years and it really dont matter but I just want it.

Basser69

Quote from: handcannon on February 07, 2012, 08:35:12 PM
Both are some good, reliable lathes. Myself, I plan on going with the Delta 46-460 to be my next lathe soon. It's the same lathe you listed but it has an added feature of reverse. When you turn and sand a call, the wood fibers lay in one direction. This lets you sand in both directions. People have been building calls like this for years and it really dint matter but I just want it.

This is the one I bought. The wife convinced me to spend the extra money with the thought of "how many of these are you going to buy in the next 5-10 years?" I have not regretted it yet.

North of 8

Delta Industrial 46-455 12-1/2-Inch 5-Speed Midi Lathe
by Delta
Be the first to review this item | Like (0)
List Price:   $469.00
Price:   $449.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save:   $20.00 (4%)
Post-purchase rebate:    $50.00 Get forms
Price after rebate:   $399.00
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

DeWayne Knight

Anyone have experience with or like the Jet wood lathes?  I like the variable speed feature within the belt ranges.  I'm leaning in the direction of the Jet unless someone tells me a reason that Delta 46-460 is superior.

Basser69

The delta has the belt system also but also has an adjustment know on the side that lets you run in the mid range from about 700-1850 rps without opening the cover and messing with the belt. As well as reverse for sanding.

pappy

I have owned a RIKON now for three years, it is one tough machine, only one drawback, I would like to see it in a 3/4 h.p. but if you are looking for a lathe that will last this is it....now if you are looking for first class stuff...check out the post right below this one about the new NOVA midi....pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

woodwzrd

Pappy which Rikon do you have. I have been looking at them for a while  but was leery because of the 1/2 horse motor.

mmclain

C_W

If you have the room, look for a used Powermatic or before Asia Delta/Rockwell. New tools are fine and dandy, but the used American Made is a good bang for the buck. Many schools have discontinued their shop programs and lathes, tooling and accessories are being sold off. These lathes usually go for under what you are talking about spending on Asian crap and many times come with a box full of accessories. Remember the lathe is the cheapest part of turning. Add on a chuck, decent tool rest, drill chuck and a few turning tools and your price doubles, or triples.

CW

moyehow

jet or powermatic.  Bigger is better.  That way you can do more than turkey calls. 

woodwzrd

I just ordered this little sweetheart today. It should be here Friday and I got the day off. Lucky me. Looks like I will be setting up a new toy Friday afternoon. Review to come.

http://www.amazon.com/RIKON-70-050VS-12-Inch-16-Inch-Variable/dp/B0045I28X0/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_2

Lonehowl

I have a couple of Jet mini's. One Ive had for 10 years and still going strong.
If I had the bling Id buy a big lathe for sure.
Mark

gunslinger

I have a Jet mini VS...love it!

woodwzrd

I just bought a Rikon 70-050VS a week ago and I love it. It is a good rock solid little lathe. I wish I would have ditched my HF lathe a long time go.