OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington Versa Max Choke Tubes  (Read 14659 times)

Offline open door

Remington Versa Max Choke Tubes
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
Has anyone tried any after-market choke tubes yet for their Versa Max shotguns? I'm interested in finding a starting place. It has a pro bore system. Let me know if you've patterned any yet. Thanks

Offline open door

Re: Remington Versa Max Choke Tubes
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
I finally got an answer from Remington on the turkey choke tube supplied with the gun. The inside constriction is .060 and the inside diameter is .675 .  I checked Carlson's Remington Pro Bore choke tube and it's inside diameter is .665 (thank the Lord it isn't one-thousandth more, lol).  I'll have some pattern work to do, but my guess from these numbers are the Remington .675 will probably do good to 30 yards, & the Carlson's tighter choke of .665 might get me out to 50 yds. with the Hevi-13's. If anyone has patterned their Versa Max please let me know what you found out. Thanks

Offline goblr77

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »
Let William at Sumtoy make one for you. He has experience with pro bore guns.

Offline remmy1187

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »
     I saw Game Accessories online caries Pure Gold Turkey chokes for the Versa-Max if you are interested.

Offline open door

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
Thanks, Gobir and Remmy, I'll check them out. I hunt in some places where you can't see beyond 30 yds, and others where I can tke a 50 yd. shot. The Hevi-13's are very capable of killing a bird at 50 yds. That's what I'm looking for.

Offline Catfishlee

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 03:04:49 PM »
I tried the Indian Creek Choke which is a .670.  The factory out performed with magnum blends & Long beard XR # 4 .   I am really curios how Jebs compares but cant find much on the versa on the forums .

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 09:16:00 AM »
Shooting the Remington Extra Full .687 out of one of the newer 28”bbl 870SM and really surprised how well it is shooting. 220’s in a 10 @ 35yds with Winchester LB 3.5 6’s and with Fed TSS 3.5 9’s..ridiculous.

Note about the 28” bbl shotguns as opposed to the 20-21” turkey guns. I own both and see the benefit of the shorter barrel in some situations, mainly walking in the woods and going under limbs but the 28”bbl I can hold much more still either free handed or off of my knee. Holding on the target makes the longer barrel worth it to me.