OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: shooting on the flush  (Read 3406 times)

Offline pdqt

shooting on the flush
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:28:08 PM »
Hey dog hunters, do you shoot on the flush, or just call them back? If you shoot on the flush, what kind and size of shot do you use?  It was pb #6 for calling, and #2, when with the dog. Now with the HTL I don't have it pinned down yet   

Offline thundrchikin

Re: shooting on the flush
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »
If the chance to shoot on the flush happens I do. I'm mostly concerned about getting a bird for the dog. If not on the flush then I'll call back. I shoot a SxS 20ga. I put Hevi-13 #6's in both the mod. barrel and the x-full. I've never had any trouble killing birds out of either barrel.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
I've killed two on the wing before, missed plenty trying to do that too.  I believe it was Roger Latham one of the great old school turkey hunters from the 40's and 50's killed all his turkeys on the wing.  He was raised wing shooting quail and felt like they had more of a sporting chance if they were flying than if on the ground.  His book is a very interesting read. 

Offline fsu33952

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »
Better make sure you can tell easily tell the difference between gobblers and hens. Not sure about where you live but here in Alabama shooting hens is against the law. I know piles of fall turkey hunters that have accidentally killed hens when they flush. Better safe than sorry I always say. Unless I am a 100% I dont shoot. Those young gobblers and hens look a lot a like in the fall.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »
Killing turkeys on the wing is easier said than done. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's not as easy as it would seem.