OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Elk Cow Calls

Started by Austy, January 19, 2012, 11:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austy

Looking for a little help or maybe a point in the right direction if anyone on here can help me out.  I am going on an archery elk hunt this fall and I would like to make myself an open single reed, elk cow call.  Was wondering if anyone on here might be able to provide me with any information on where I might be able to get some supplies to make my own reeds.  Not sure what the name of the material is I think I read somewhere mylar or something of that nature and I think that I am looking for it in thickness of probably .010".  The type of mouthpiece that I would like to make would be one similar to the primos hyperlip style call.  I like this style of mouthpiece a little better than the style that has the reed enclosed inside of a tube, just my preference.  I was thinking that I would probably use derlin to make that actual mouthpiece unless someone on her has a better suggestion.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Lonehowl

Above link is great, also try THO Game Calls callmakers supply store, and another place to get stuff is Rick Robbins at RR Calls. He goes bythe name of Bearmanric on the forums. Both have great service.
Mark

Lonehowl

Btw you are correct .010 mylar is what you are after.
Mark

triune

I modified an extra deer grunt i had laying around and sounds really good.  Through out the barrel and now it is an open reed call.  Had to trim the reed and shorten but didn't take too long to get a nice open reed elk call.  Not something I would sell, but I don't care what mine looks like.