turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dogs anyone?

Started by Ruger M77, January 17, 2012, 09:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger M77

Just wonderd if anybody hunts with turkey dogs on here. I never did but I would like to try it.
I eat therefore I hunt

thundrchikin

I have a 3 year old Brittany that I use for turkeys. IMO the best way to hunt em in the fall nothin like it!!

Ruger M77

Did you have to train your brittany to hunt turkey or did it pickup on turkeys on its own?
I eat therefore I hunt

thundrchikin

She picked most of it up on her own. I just exposed her to turkeys and let the bird dog in her take over. The hardest part is the teaching them to stay still in the blind for the call back. One minute your wanting them to run like crazy flushing and chasing turkeys the next you want them to stay perfectly still in the blind while they're walking all around them. When it all comes together there's nothing like it. Good luck if you decide to take the plunge. :you_rock:

thundrchikin

If your really interested in turkeydogs check out turkeydog.org. It's a great site with alot of info.

Ruger M77

Thanks I'll have to check that out there are a couple outfitters in NY that offer dog hunts at an affordable price. thought about tryin that before I got my own dog. I didn't no we could use dogs here in PA till this year mabe they just changed it I dont no.
I eat therefore I hunt

willy8457

I live here in Pa , and hunt with a dog.  I got a Boykin Spaniel , and he loves to hunt turkey's. This the second year i Hunted with , what a blast. We've done well.  I didn't have to teach him to hunt  , I had to teach him what to hunt.  Getting him to chase turkeys was the easy part, getting him to sit still between my legs while I called was a little harder.  Where in Pa do you live?

willy8457

I think they changed that law three years ago.

Ruger M77

I live in schuylkill county I grew up in juniata county I still hunt juniata alot.Where you from?
I eat therefore I hunt

willy8457

I live in Clinton County

Ruger M77

Oh yea my grandpa lives in clinton and my Dad had a camp up there but he had to sell it. My grandpa lives near lockhaven.
I eat therefore I hunt

trkehunr93

I fall hunt here in VA alot but have never used a dog, its legal here just don't know anyone that has a turkey dog.  Would love to try it though.

willy8457

That's where I live, Lock haven

Ruger M77

Our camp was along eagleton rd near beechcreek rd. Do you think a german short hair pointer would make a good turkey dog?
I eat therefore I hunt

willy8457

I' m sure it would, maybe sometime you can make it up our way I'll take you out with Cutter. I try to get him out on the weekends.  I did some checking into it before I got Cutter , and the Boykin Spaniel and the Byrne dogs where breed to hunt turkeys.  Drop me a line if you want to do that sometime.  We'll just have to hunt with out a gun.