turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The 8 gauge "Myth"

Started by decoykrvr, January 03, 2012, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

There was a time in my life that I too believed that "Bigger is always better!"  This mentality lead me down the path to build an 8 gauge shotgun.  I utilized the guts, frame and stock from a $30 Stevens 10 gauge, modified the forearm and had an 8 gauge barrel bored out from high tensile steel stock by a competent gunsmith with the lugs from the 10 gauge barrel welded on.  I obtained 8 gauge, 3" hulls from a lime kiln.  The hulls were from "kiln loads" which is a solid lead cylindrical projectile fired through a "kiln gun" to break the lime slag off the walls of the rotating lime kiln.  I got "Power Piston" 8 gauge wads from an unnamed source at Remington and an English made wad from a supplier in England.  I made a spin crimper and reloaded and played with my "toy" for about 2 years.  I was loading up to 3 oz. of nickel plated shot, but got better patterns, w/ substantially less recoil, with 21/2 oz of shot.  At the time, remember- I was young and bullet proof, I was also loading 21/2 oz. of nickel plated shot for 10 gauges and could see no discernable advantages with the 8 gauge which was harder to load, find components and kicked like a mule.  
The 8 gauge worked me to death fabricating springs, since the recoil litterally ate them. Shortly after the "thrill was gone", I was offered the phenomenal sum of $250 for my creation w/ all the reloading accessories and rapidly unloaded my "toy".  Like my youth, I now wish I had it back.

Old Gobbler

I would love to see pictures of your setup sounds like a cool gun to own -

I would like to own a long barreled "punt gun" for nostalgic waterfowling purposes
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

gobblergls

A shotshell collector gave me one of those 8 gauge "kiln"rounds. He referred to it as a "clinker" round.

gobbler74

Quote from: gobblergls on January 04, 2012, 06:50:27 AM
A shotshell collector gave me one of those 8 gauge "kiln"rounds. He referred to it as a "clinker" round.
I have family that works at a cement factory here in VA. As late as 2000 they still used one mounted on a tripod to bust up the cement chutes when they plugged
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

GobblinNC

Old Gobbler

Buddy of mines Father in law has a old double barrel 8 gauge ,I should get him to take pictures of it
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon