OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wetland restoration for wild turkey habitat  (Read 5386 times)

Offline Tom Biebighauser

Wetland restoration for wild turkey habitat
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »

Small wetlands provide important habitat for the wild turkey. The birds will visit these features for something to drink, and for the many insects and plants they produce.  Wetlands on dry mountain ridges are used extensively by wild turkey.  Fortunately, it is now possible to build and restore these habitats, and at a low cost.

I am happy to announce the availability of the new book I have written, Wetland Restoration and Construction-A Technical Guide.  The volume is designed to help individuals build naturally appearing and functioning wetlands for wild turkey and other wildlife species, containing over 580 color photographs and drawings.  Practical, low cost, and highly effective techniques are described that are based on my experiences establishing over 1,400 wetlands in 18-States and two Canadian Provinces.

The chapters clearly explain how to select suitable locations for building wetlands, the best techniques to use, what types of heavy equipment are needed, and how to oversee construction and planting. Of special interest to those interested in wild turkey management are the pages showing how wetlands can be designed to provide water in dry areas, such as in arid areas and on mountain ridges. The water, insects, and plants these wetlands produce can be important to the wild turkey and other species in time of drought.

The attractive 186-page publication is the result of a partnership between The Wetland Trust, Upper Susquehanna Coalition, Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (PARC), and the Center for Wetlands and Stream Restoration.  Please visit www.thewetlandtrust.org/wetlandrestoration to view pages and to take advantage of the low introductory price of $15.50 per copy, with shipping included.

Thank you,

Tom Biebighauser

Thomas R. Biebighauser
Wildlife Biologist & Wetland Ecologist
Center for Wetlands and Stream Restoration
www.wetlandandstreamrestoration.org