North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotional Friday 2/18/2011 "That Little Voice"

Started by BOFF, February 18, 2011, 07:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Good Morning Brothers and Sisters!! 

I hope all is well for you today, and the Blessings are many. I've had a little more trouble with the topic for today's devotional, as there have been many topics and issues flowing through my mind and life this week. Probably the one which has been the most discussed or thought about though has been the "little voice which" I so often hear.  That little voice which I sometimes ignore. That little voice which I often search for in times of decisions. That little voice, which beckons me to call or write people I haven't spoken to in forever. That little voice which challenges me to do things I feel I don't have time for at that moment. That little voice, which often gets trampled on by my own selfishness and desires. That little voice which I like to argue with sometimes on a daily basis on what needs to be done. The little voice which often has to be a loud and  booming voice for me to hear. The little voice of God and the Holy Spirit, which we are Blessed to have and to know.

John 14:16-17
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

This past weekend I was asked to go on a tuna fishing trip with some friends, and despite it lagging over into Valentines day, I was able to work things out with my lovely wife, and work schedule. I asked my friend who was planning the trip about the important details of where we were going, where we were staying, and what was needed to go. I found out there would be a coffee makers there, and since I started drinking coffee again, I decided to take my own coffee and creamer. Why? Well, I'm not a big fan of strong coffee, and I drink mine really weak. One might consider me to be REALLY frugal on the coffee, as I take 6 teaspoons flatly leveled off for 12 cups of coffee. My 12 teaspoons of coffee grinds would probably be for 2 cups of coffee for someone else. So, in preparing the coffee grinds in a plastic zip lock bag, and getting some chocolate creamer in another zip lock bag, I heard that "little voice again".........

"David get some coffee filters"

I shook my head, as it's already the night before I'm leaving to go on the trip, it's late, and I have all my other packing to do. I argue with the voice, reporting I don't need the filters, and I need to get other things, more important. The little voice is a little louder........

"DAVID!!! I SAID, GET SOME FILTERS!!!!"

I get the filters and roll them up neatly, just to where the voice would be quite, and I place them in my duffel bag.

We arrive late the next evening down in Louisiana, on the end of Google maps last road in Louisiana. I'm tired, and go to bed before the others. While laying in my bed, I hear the others discussing getting the coffee maker ready for the next morning. The place we were staying was a small building, floating on a gutted pontoon boat. The building was brand new and the owner had thought of everything. Nice, new appliances, including a coffee maker, a new, LARGE tub of coffee (it would have lasted me a year), silverware, etc.  As I'm about to go to sleep, I hear someone ask about coffee filters. I would like to write I jumped out of bed and came to the rescue, but I laid there and went to sleep while they used a makeshift paper towel as a filter.

However, the next day, as they are needing filters again, I report I have some, and I get some pretty weird stares. I'm able to share about the little voice, and following it's guidance, even though I originally wanted to argue with God and tell him I knew I didn't need any coffee filters.

God will take care of all our needs, IF, we do our part as well. In our times of prayer and our daily reading of God's word, do we take the time to listen to the "little voice" ?  Do we actually hear it, and what it says, or does it have to become a loud and booming voice before we acknowledge it and actually can listen to its instruction?

Father God, I thank you for supplying each of us with the Holy Spirit. Forgive me with my arguing with it, and my insistence of telling it, I know better. Let our ears be open, and our willingness to be open to your Holy Spirit be strong. Guide us, and give us the wisdom, and knowledge to handle the day to day affairs in our lives. Not for our glory, but yours. For it is in Jesus name we ask and claim these things, Amen!!!

God Bless,
David B.

Crutch

Great word David. I needed that, because it doesn't appear that it was about the filters at all, it was about the oppritunity to tell someone about our awesome God. I hope I remember that when that still small voice speaks.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

BOFF

Quote from: Crutch on February 18, 2011, 10:52:04 PM
Great word David. I needed that, because it doesn't appear that it was about the filters at all, it was about the opportunity to tell someone about our awesome God. I hope I remember that when that still small voice speaks.

Absolutely!! 

The filters are just the small part God's "coffee recipe", though they are needed, they can easily be replaced with other makeshift paper towel filters, and other people to get the "coffee recipe"  made.   It's our job to listen, be ready, and follow instructions.

God Bless,
David B.

kyhareraiser

the small still voice: something we all need to take heed to ..

turkey slayer