OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Have you ever wondered "Why do I need to use dry wood"

Started by .308, February 17, 2011, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For all of us new to the call making world. 

This was one of the first pots I made.  I turned it this fall from an Osage log from a tree that had been down for about 1 year.  After shaping the pot, I noticed a liitle movement in the wood.  After a few weeks, I thought it had stabilized.  I finished turning and installed the soundboard and surface.  I was giving calls away for feedback and someone had to have this one.  Needless to say I got it back a few days ago. 

I don't think the pictures show this, but the bottom of the call is now cupped.  I had read on here about cracked playing surfaces but this still surprised me. 

Hopefully this helps someone to not repeat a dumb mistake.

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

lightsoutcalls

Osage is a very hard wood.  When it "moves", seems like nothing will stop it.  It happens now and then.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Fox Fire

So how does a call maker dry or stabilize the wood ? is it something he can do at home or must ship and have it done ?

mranum

You could always try this.  http://mgorrow.tripod.com/microwave.html

I've never done it,  but talked to guys that have and they have had success with it.

MarkJM

I have had pots warp on me, it wasnt from a green pot, it was from me heating up the pot to much when I was sanding it on the lathe. When I dry wood out for any project I put it in the attic, or somewhere dry and hot and let it sit for 2 to 3 years, depending on the size of the wood. Also the size of a pot blank would take about a week to kiln dry. You need a room or oven with a tempature of 110 degrees. :icon_thumright:
MuellerCustomCalls