Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Question about turkey "coughing"

Started by CASH, December 14, 2011, 01:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CASH

Dr. Williams, the following was a question posted by a new member in the General Forum.  I told him I would copy and paste it here to see if you had an opinion on this.

I'm new to the site. Hello to everyone.
I have a question for the biologists out there...
We have a nearly tame, old bearded hen thats been hanging around our home for years.
About 6 months ago, she developed a persistent "cough" or sneeze. This poor old thing coughs all of the time. She was roosted by my driveway last night and I could hear her coughing in the dark.
Any idea what's wrong with her? Does she have some sort of disease that could spread to the rest of the flock? We have about 60 birds hitting our feeders every day.
Another problem she has is her feathers don't shed the weather like a healthy bird. During wet weather, while all the other turkeys look dry, she is wet and haggered looking. I'm expecting her to freeze to death.
I hoping she won't spread the condition to the other birds. Any thoughts?
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Lovett

CASH,

I know don't what the has hen but won't spread rest of the flock.

Tap

Quote from: Lovett on December 15, 2011, 12:22:54 PM
CASH,

I know don't what the has hen but won't spread rest of the flock.

Thanks. Spreading to the rest of the flock is my #1 concern but she has been coughing for many months now without it spreading. #2 concern is I don't want her to suffer, but she is still eating and flying up to roost every night so I think I'll just keep an eye on her for now.