OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sighting in a Turkey Scope  (Read 51231 times)

Offline BOFF

• Paintbrush Beard
Sighting in a Turkey Scope
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:18 PM »

After having the scope mounted on your turkey gun, you have to sight it in. Many ways of doing this, but this is how I've done it through the years.

Things you will need:

1. Sandbags/shooting rest. This is a must, as you will need the gun to remain still while you adjust the windage and elevation of the scope
2. Patterning paper, bought usually at a local hardware store, called contractor's paper in 35" width.
3. Some sort of holder for your patten paper.  I use large cardboard wedged between to four T post, two per side.
4.  2 3/4" low brass shells and your turkey shells you plan to shoot during season
5. Sharpie marker and/or masking tape.
6. Turkey target (not necessary if you can draw well)
7. Hearing protectors

First set up at 15 yards from your target.

Shoot at mark/tape on target.

Now, here is where you HAVE to keep the gun still without moving it, unless you want to have to shoot several times.

Place the gun in the sandbags/shooting rest, to where the retical of the scope is on the target you just shot (Point of Aim or POA), and is not needing any help from you to stay on target. If you look real closely, you can see the red dot on the masking tape in the below picture, where I was originally aiming.

Now, with out moving the gun, adjust the elevation of the scope to where the shot/hole is in the target (the point of impact or POI)

Without moving the gun, adjust the windage of the scope to where the target hole is.

Shoot again at a new target, and see where you POI is in location to your POA.

A little off, so I adjust it again using the above steps.

Steady in the bags, retical on the original target/POA.

Adjust the windage of the scope, as this was basically all that was off target.

Shoot again at different target.

Was basically on, a little high, but we are shooting at 15 yards, so I left it at that.

Moved the target to 40 yards now, and added new patterning paper.

Add a tape square, or color a good sized 2" dot you can see on the center of the pattering paper, and shot at it, still with low brass shells.

I was fairly happy with the shot pattern around where I was aiming, so I didn't adjust the scope, as I still have to shoot a turkey shell at 40 yards. So shoot a turkey shell at a turkey target at 40 yards, with new patterning paper.

This is a Nitro shell out of the SBE at 40 yards. (I poked a sharpie marker in each hole to count, and make it show up better for the camera.)

I need to change my POI up, as the pattern was low. I put a square of tape on the center of the turkey's neck where I was aiming, and a square of tape where the pattern center was on the paper.

I adjusted my scope, just like the first two adjustments, and shot again at a new turkey target, and patterning paper, at 40 yards.

Back of target, with a quarter where  I was aiming (the middle of the turkey's neck).

It isn't going to get much better than the above, so I left it alone, and it is ready to hunt!!

Remember though, you have to shoot your gun again at 15, 25, and 30 yards if you are going to be positive of where your turkey shells will hit in comparison to your point of aim. At 15 yards, with a turkey choke, your pattern is going to be tight and not always where your POA was.  

Hope this may help some of you. Stay safe!!

God Bless,
David B.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:01:34 PM by BOFF »

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Sighting in a Turkey Scope
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:25:27 AM »
Thank you Dave! :icon_thumright:
Shannon, can this be made a sticky again?

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
Thank you Shannon! :icon_thumright:

BHhunter

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:34:16 PM »
Great advice. I never thought of doing it like this, but tried it the other day sighting in my 935 and it worked great. Thanks.

Offline 870supermagnum

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:05:18 AM »
I followed this method for sighting in a Browning holo sight on a 870 SM and it worked perfect.  Thanks for posting this.

Offline 4nolz2

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
I just used this method for sighting in open sites worked great.Thanks BOFF!

Offline hunter-b

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:59:07 PM »
 :thanks:

Offline Balla1982

• God, family and hunting. What else is there!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:49:41 PM »
I have never used a scope but I am looking into mounting one on my sons 870 20ga. How do you know where the central point of your group is?

I'm thinking that depending on the pattern and central location of shot is where it will be?

Offline Xcal1ber

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »
I have never used a scope but I am looking into mounting one on my sons 870 20ga. How do you know where the central point of your group is?

I'm thinking that depending on the pattern and central location of shot is where it will be?

Wherever the most dense part of your pattern is located on the paper, that is your poi
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

Offline bowAddiction

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 08:50:21 AM »
very informative! thanks.

Offline 22LR

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I would like to mount an optic on my 870.

Offline NWBama

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
I made a great investment earlier this year for sighting in guns. Bought a Lead Sled.

Offline SpitNDrumN

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »
Great advice! And this works great for sighting in rifles just the same as well.

Offline 01Foreman400

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Huntin Fool
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
Great post, about that time again.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Offline Fan Club

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
How do you know where the central point of your group is?

That's why you start at only 15, or even 10 yards. The pattern at that range will be so dense it will actually punch a golf ball sized hole in the paper (see above pics.) That is the center of pattern.

If you were to start at say 30 yards, the pattern spread would make it difficult to find the true center.

Great tutorial BOFF, nicely done!   :thanks:

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee